Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uh, what's this? Looking throught the liturature that came with my new Centerforce Dual Friction it says (paraphrased) that early model fords may need to remove the pedal assist spring or add a heavy duty pedal return spring.

I have a '70 mach 1 with a 351W.

Is this true, do I have to do this? What has been your experience.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
With the assist spring, sometimes the pedal will stick on the floor because of the light pedal pressure required for a diaphragm pressure plate. Remove the assist spring and use a heavier spring from the equalizer bar to the firewall.

Diagphram clutch setups don't require the assist springs that the old Long style pressure plates had to have.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see. That is what the insert says here as well. I just wasnt sure if this was the case on all the models.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I have the Dual Friction Centerforce clutch setup in the 66 Fastback and am using the original Z-bar clutch setup. I had heard of some having to remove the assist spring; however, mine works perfectly with all the original linkage/springs in place. One thing I noticed was that the clutch adjustment (initial free play in the pedal) played a role in whether the pedal returned when the clutch was released. Fortunately, when the free play was just about right, the pedal returned OK.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Bernie, I checked out the assit spring and such. Even if it does have to come out, it is no big deal. It just pops right out.

Thanks for the tip on free play adjustment.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
In watching this comment over several years, it seems those with the dual Centerforce have few problems with the early over-center spring and those with the single diaphragm clutch plate can have problems. If you've decided on the single diaphragm Centerforce or aftermarket replacement diaphragm, I'd remove the over-center spring and replace it will a lower tension spring. Where to find a lower tension replacement, check with your John Deere dealer. There's a lot of springs used on lawn tractors, etc., so a tractor repair shop has a large selection. In the worst case, you can live without it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts