Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start this post for the 6 cyl guys sitting on the fence & or waiting on the alumn heads to become available. I don't know how many guys on here are running the alumn head on their eng but I'll see how this install goes & try to post info as it go on. If your running a alumn head let me know if you have had any issues I should be on the lookout for.

First thing to say is if you have a 6 cyl Mustang it's going to cost you the same money to repair & or modify your car as the v8 guys spend. Until you start on the engine then you will probably spend more.

A little back info my car is a base model 67.vert 200/c4. Most of the modifications are suspension & are listed in the showcase my car is The Money Pit.

As of this time the only drive train mods are a msd 6al ign box & coil along with a 82 model electronic dist & a Holley 2300 sniper.

Last week I lucked up & found & purchased a New never been run Classic Inline ported Alumn head ( s# 0009)& intake,hope to have it in a few days.

Ordered a Schneider cam and new lifters, a set of split headers & a new dual exhaust system. When the head & parts are on it will most likely have the electric fan I got from one of the members here on it before its fired up.

I'll try to take some pictures as the work goes forward if I don't get carried away. The head install along with the other planned parts will be a learning experience for me as its always been v8's & I don't count the few stock 6's I had as a teenager.

For any of you guys who have a six & are debating different mods to the motor let me say installing the Sniper even on my stock small log headed eng with the stock exhaust system was some of the best money I spent so far and even stock the eng ran much better and had noticeable more power.

I am expecting good things when it's all together. So just in case you might have missed this part you 6 cyl guys will spend lots more money for less power than the v8 guys , but if your spending that money on your six you must be ok with it.

·
Dimples
5,676 Posts
This is exciting! I love the concept of a hot rodded six, but the cost is hard to rationalize. Still, happy somebody’s doing it.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like I said in an earlier post I must be a little off. But once you can get over the initial " OH MY GOD " cost for the head most other cost are pretty much inline with a v8 cost. I started to pass on mine because of the cost but the more I thought about the porting cost already did ,the arp head studs,5/6 sets of special intake gasket sets plus what ever else he's sending the price did'nt seem out of line with the last price i seen for the head you can't find or get. But like you said most people can't rationalize the cost when they think I could of had a v8. So I guess you either like those 6's or not.

Although special internal parts cost might be more but I'm not going there , ever I hope. I guess the longevity factor of what I have depends on my heavy foot syndrome. Since the car is not a manual shift I can see my breakage factor being way down .

The one thing I hope the guys who have 6's take away from all this besides this guys nuts, is they can get more out of their engine just by making sure the timing chain is not worn out because it will still run ok even if it is , I know .

Then put more gas to it even if thru a small log head, better with a large log and large exhaust system but even a small exhaust system works ok. Does it cost money sure it does but it sure runs better than an all stock set up.

Besides when this is all said and done if I don't like it I can all ways go back to the stock form ( and sell the head) that's great as it came from FOMOCO like a lot of people say. Naw ain't gonna happen.

This is exciting! I love the concept of a hot rodded six, but the cost is hard to rationalize.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be following.
I forgot to ask in my eairler post but am I the only and or first one on this forum crazy enough to dive off into the deep end on this alumn headed six? If so maybe the other 6 owners will be beating Matt Cox's door down if it turns out good.

If any of you 6 guys have a alum valve cover for a 200 you want to see go to a good cause let me know.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Wayne, absolutely. I built my motor the first time with the head, fitech, YT rockers and a clay smith cam and did 185rwhp. Late last year I added a turbo and made 272rwhp before I pinched a piston with the rings. I’m building my motor again and am improving a few things for reliability.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wayne, absolutely. I built my motor the first time with the head, fitech, YT rockers and a clay smith cam and did 185rwhp. Late last year I added a turbo and made 272rwhp before I pinched a piston with the rings. I’m building my motor again and am improving a few things for reliability.
I guess you have already been looking on fordsix.com ,if not you should as some of those guys are pretty hardcore on the sixes.

Did you have stock pistons with the turbo? It's been about 25 years or so since I built a Buick turbo motor I know I used chrome molly rings and it seems the pistons did not have oil return provisions in them.
I'd love to see some pictures of your turbo setup if you have any.
Did you have any problems I might can avoid? For now I'll be useing my stock rockers ,hopeing I can upgrade in the future.

From what you say even without the turbo it made good power compared to stock ,if mine performes any where near that good i'll be happy.

Do you have any posts on here when you were putting it together? Or even on the new build?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess you have already been looking on fordsix.com ,if not you should as some of those guys are pretty hardcore on the sixes.

Did you have stock pistons with the turbo? It's been about 25 years or so since I built a Buick turbo motor I know I used chrome molly rings and it seems the pistons did not have oil return provisions in them.
Did you have any problems I might can avoid? For now I'll be useing my stock rockers ,hopeing I can upgrade in the future.

From what you say even without the turbo it made good power compared to stock ,if mine performes any where near that good i'll be happy.

Do you have any posts on here when you were putting it together? Or even on the new build?
Well my new Classic Inline head came this afternoon . It was better than Christmas when I cut the bubble wrap off and got that first look.

All I can say is man I can't wait for every thing to get here & start the teardown to put it back together. I still find it hard to believe it was purchased,installed only on a built engine on a stand,never ran ,removed then sold. But thats how it turned out.

Can't wait to get the intake ,arp studs & what ever else the seller is sending in the other boxes.once I have every thing for the head I'll post some pictures.

After seeing the head I would say if any of you guys are waiting on the heads to be sold don't blow that head money and wait i think it's going to be well worth the wait.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I’m on fordsix pretty regularly.

I'm actually on Fordsix quite a bit. I rebuilt my engine a few years ago and I went to 9.9:1 CR using 2.3 HSC flat top pistons. This time I'm having some forged pistons made for my application. In my case the rings themselves weren't the problem; it was the gap we built the engine with the first time. I didn't do a build page, but I have attached a few pics here.

IMG_5662.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m on fordsix pretty regularly.

I'm actually on Fordsix quite a bit. I rebuilt my engine a few years ago and I went to 9.9:1 CR using 2.3 HSC flat top pistons. This time I'm having some forged pistons made for my application. In my case the rings themselves weren't the problem; it was the gap we built the engine with the first time. I didn't do a build page, but I have attached a few pics here.

View attachment 789089
I like it , make me have all kinds of ideas. Showed the head to my nephew a little while ago & he was like man uncle wayne you'll have all kinds of things going on with that motor

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well after the wife & I finally returned home tonight I had 2 packages. The one box with the headers in it was torn up bad , opened it up and the headers were fine and I have to say they look great.

The other box is my new dual exhaust system, too tired to cut it open & look tonight ,maybe in the morning before I start back on putting up the cypress v boards on the walls.

My intake , gaskets,studs & other misc parts have'nt came in yet. Trying to have everything on hand before I start. I don' expect the cam& lifters for another week or more as it had a 2 week lead time on them.

Any one know if the exhaust system would benifit from tieing them together similar to the v8 h-pipes?

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Im a fan of the sixes. Love them with a 3-4-5 speed. Ive got a 250 long block and a couple C9 heads in the garage and nothing to use them on.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well after the wife & I finally returned home tonight I had 2 packages. The one box with the headers in it was torn up bad , opened it up and the headers were fine and I have to say they look great.

The other box is my new dual exhaust system, too tired to cut it open & look tonight ,maybe in the morning before I start back on putting up the cypress v boards on the walls.

My intake , gaskets,studs & other misc parts have'nt came in yet. Trying to have everything on hand before I start. I don' expect the cam& lifters for another week or more as it had a 2 week lead time on them.

Any one know if the exhaust system would benifit from tieing them together similar to the v8 h-pipes?
Pulled the headers out & unwrapped them this morn. I have to say the welding looks great on both sides of the flange as well as where all the tubes tie together.

Don't think I'll cut the exhaust box open untill I get in a rain free spot . I'm about to run out of storage space what with boxes of parts for 4 different vehicles.

Don't worry I've already told my son in law if I kick off don't let everything get sold for dirt but at least try to make some money on everything. And this was way before cleaning all the junk up at that house last week.
20210407_075654.jpg

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
What I dont like about those headers is that you cant run AC with them. It would be a simple fix on the manufacturing side but for some reason they had to bend the #1 pipe so it sits in the same spot as the AC compressor bracket.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What I dont like about those headers is that you cant run AC with them. It would be a simple fix on the manufacturing side but for some reason they had to bend the #1 pipe so it sits in the same spot as the AC compressor bracket.
I know ,I've been on the lookout for a driver side comp mount. Might have to fab a mount as I'm going to have some ac .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts