Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished clutch replace on my 65 coupe, 3sp. Replaced it because of chatter. Come to find out rear seal was leaking (old clutch was soaked). So, my thinking was that a new rear main seal, new clutch, pp, throwout brg, pilot brg, resurfaced flywheel, etc. would solve my problem. To my great frustration, it didn't. Seems almost worse! Have read past posts on motor mounts, but don't know what to do. My coworkers talked me out of the centerforce saying I would have too much pedal pressure. So I went with the 3 finger. Any help here? I've had this old girl since I was 15 and my dad bought her new in 65! I have babied her always! Help!

·
Registered
909 Posts
I had the same problem with clutch chatter until I changed to a diaphram style pressure plate & clutch instead of the 3 finger style. I didn't notice a huge difference in pedal pressure. You definitely need to have the flywheel turned to remove any hot spots on it.

·
Registered
21,130 Posts
Put a C4 in, that'll stop the chattering :p Only kidding.

Yes, check for worn motor mounts and linkage too, even the clutch pedal and related parts to that also. I recall reading an article in a magazine about a clutch replacement/upgrade. They were having problems as well. The cause turned out to be flywheel that had been re-surfaced too many time! Maybe time for a new flywheel.

You appear to be compitent so take it with a grain of salt, maybe you accidently got a greasy finger print on the new set up. I did that once, boy did that chatter!

Good luck, I hope maybe I've given you some ideas.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
look at the clutch equalizer shaft bushings

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I also had a lot of chatter when I put the new clutch in my 65 4 speed.It has since cleared up.The answer to this I was told by severale mechanics is that I did not remove enough of the coating on the clutch face before installing it.This is also mentioned in the repair manual I have as well.Says to be sure to remove the shine from the connecting surface of the new clutch plates before installing.If you do not the clutch will chatter.
Don

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure what coating you are referring to. I cleaned my new pressure plate with brake clean, but the clutch didn't have anything on it. I've never heard of this?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
There was a post a couple of days ago about clutch chatter. I posted a long response about various causes. Please refer to it. Also, the Centerforce clutch I'm using has LESS pedal pressure than the previous 3-finger one.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Ditto on the Center Force clutch. I think it's one of the best upgrades on the market.
Before working on the clutch again make sure all the linkage is properly aligned and functioning.
If you used parts place replacement clutch parts, you may still have a problem. This is one area where genuine Ford, or quality upgrade, parts are worth the expense.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
There is a glaze that is put on the clutch face so that it protects it during shipping and for shelf life, prevents any rusting.This is removed by useing a fine sand paper,just remove the glaze , the chatter is caused by slipping on the face..I was told this from mechanics at the local Ford dealership..I did not remove enough of it so have chatter until it wore off..
Don

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses. I checked motor mounts, they are solid, checked trans mount, it's fine. I am convinced that the three fingered pressure plate is my culprit. I think I am leaning towards the centerforce clutch setup. Any suggestions as to which to get? I am not looking for a quick engagement. This car is my baby, I don't drive it like I'm at the drags. Looking for a smooth easy engagement. Can centerforce provide that for me? If anyone knows, please inform. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts