Vintage Mustang Forums banner

New custom interior

10K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  Husky44 
#1 ·
So much time has elapsed since I started having my 67 vert restored. After almost 2 yrs, the car is finally to a point where I can see some light at the end of the tunnel. The car started its journey at a resto shop and 2 weeks ago it was finally to the point it could be driven down the road to an audio shop to start on the add-ons and interior.
Plans are power windows and locks, alarm, push button start +/-, double DIN radio in console and build out of the trunk with carpeted surround to house the sub and amp.
I had TMI do the interior with custom picked colors. Decided on charcoal grays as primary color to go along with what little black is still present on the dash.
Carpeting is a blue from ACC.
Exterior is Porsche iris metallic blue.
They mocked up the interior this week to see how it all fit. Evidently there are issues getting the doors to close with the new seats and door panels. Going to be very tight in the end.
Opinions certainly welcome. One of these days I will take all my pictures and start a build thread.

See less See more
#9 ·
Image98 thank you for the kind words.
I had TMI send me about 10 samples of different grays. The seats themselves are actually one that TMI offers that was not on their website at the time. My vision was to maintain a classic design with modern amenities. The rep sent me the picture of this seat. I was originally going to go with the old version of the Sport R seat but did not like the look (though looking at their website now, they seemed to have changed the 67 offering of the sport R to this seat set/covers). Did not seem to match what I had envisioned which was more of a deluxe comfortweave style upholstery.
The light grey at the seat backing/center is a perforated material, so it gave me the look I was going for. Used the blue baseball stitching to act as a transition to the carpet and exterior. Luckily the color of the suede is almost identical to the charcoal vinyl.
I ordered these over a year ago when TMI was having an end of year sale with 20%? off and free shipping at Christmas/New Years.
Cost me about $5K for it all...Dash pad, sun visors, front seats (complete seat with tracks),full door panel, rear seat covers, console and rear quarter covers.

Reactions: Huntingky
#5 · (Edited)
Its awesome that TMI will do some custom changes. Your interior looks fantastic. I also had a great experience with them. I have 70 sport R seats with the LOGO deleted and the stripe changed to white. My Sport R bolsters are very close or touching the center console and my TMI Mach1 door panels. Not a problem. The doors close perfectly. They will work it out for you.

#6 ·
Looks great! That's the problem with our interiors, any kind of side bolster is going to bump against the arm rests. The only suggestion I have is to tilt the headrests forward for better protection and I think it looks better, but that's it.

#10 ·
TMI does offer these without a headrest. It was an add on to the order. They have the seat covers for front and back seats using original frames.
I had my rear frames blasted and powder coated.

#12 ·
I will be using a new steering wheel. I will likely be getting a GT3 leather wrapped wheel with a mustang horn logo. The steering column needs to be replaced with a shorter one. My plan was to use a Grant quick release for when the car is parked in public places for a period of time. So it will add a few inches to the length of the column along with the hub adapter.

Reactions: Quicksilver66
#15 ·
Beautiful looking. How much interference are you seeing at the door. It will be interesting to see how the grey interior goes with the blue carpet. Very wise to use blue stitching to pull it together.

#19 ·
Thanks y’all! I completed mine about four years ago, and at that time I believe the foam and the covers were called “sport”.
I’m not looking at my car right now, but I think with the deluxe interior, the door panel starts to taper off just about where the seat back sits . However, as has been discussed in another thread, this style of foam will set you up closer to the headliner and make it a little harder to get in and out of the car with the stock(Giant) steering wheel. Let me know if more pictures are needed, or I can probably dig around in my receipts, and find out the exact series of the foam and leather.

#27 ·
Thank you for the pics. I think the difference is the door panels. You have the standard inserts with the door pull. Mine is a complete panel that covers the entire door. The pull may be a bit longer. I sent pictures to TMI and I'm waiting for a response. Looking at Cj's video on youtube, it appears the mounting bracket is a piece of flat iron that runs side to side with mounting holes for the bolts. I'm wondering if the bolt holes can be shifted a few inches inward to move the seat over?
How much clearance is there with the console side? Next time I drop parts off at the shop, I'll check my setup.

#28 ·
I have those same seats and mine do the same thing, I have to have the seats back or they hit the door pull and would regardless of the panel. Unless you've got significantly different brackets and/or room in your car you can’t move them inward enough to make the problem go away. In my case I just make sure the seats are back and put different pulls on that weren’t as sharp as the original 65 style.

Reactions: 67CustomStang
#29 ·
I was talking with a buddy of mine about the problem and we were trying to figure out what may have made the issue so bad.
He asked me if my floor pans were replaced. Yes, yes they were. So I wonder if the pans were not put in exactly where they should be and with a standard 67 seat, the problem isn't noticeable (car had a seat in it to drive it to the audio shop). I will factor that into the equation.
If this is an inherent problem to these seats (since several of you have mentioned it), why would TMI not change the dimensions or the angle at which the bolster wraps? Seems like a simple fix on their end.

#30 ·
I replaced the floor/seat pan on the driver side but mine is original metal on the passenger side and it fits the same way, so I do not think that it comes down to a replacement floor pan issue. I don’t know if it was apparent in the picture, but my interior is the deluxe interior with the aluminum insert panels ( in case it matters).

#31 ·
When I stop by the shop I'm going to have them slide the seats all the way back and see what happens. Thanks

#35 ·
I bought mine about 6 years ago (don't ask).

Just took the driver's door panel off to realign the door. Door has always been hard to close--had to slam it, and then hard to get open. Gaps were far enough off last weekend that I tried to realign door but couldn't with the panel on.

Same issue on PS. I doubt TMI will do anything for me this late. I think I am going to try to trim the shells so that the bottom edge ends on the face of the door instead of wrapping under. I'll use 3M tape instead of Christmas trees. I'll also trim the front corners, and anhace else it is binding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.