1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
There are several external boxes available that offer timing control. They are not new. MSD Adjustable Timing Control It looks like that distributor is a new twist because it packs all the electronics under the cap and has BlueTooth, etc. The website says: "Due to its longer gear, this distributor will not fit engines that came carbureted from the factory" and "Must use high output coil with primary resistance of 0.7 ohms or less". And they call it "FORD 5.0 EFI CARB CONVERSION". So apparently it must be for Fox body EFI 5.0s that have traditional manifolds with carburetors and the EFI ripped out.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A factory EFI 5.0 has different internal dimensions than a carb’d 289-302? When I read the whole “longer gear” sentence, that’s what I understood it to mean. Not totally familiar with any internal differences in the SBF family, aside from bore and stroke. Strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
868 Posts
The 5.0 equiped cars came with a different gear on the distributor. The outside diameter was the same but internal diameter was wider because the distributor shaft was thicker than the older cars. I am not sure how a "longer" gear would make a difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts