Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to replace the distributor on a 1965 mustang 260. It currently has an old outdated Accel distributor and coil that is horribly unreliable on start-up and frequently shuts the car off . I want to replace it with an electric ignition distributor as I hear it’s very reliable and performs well. Though, I’m open to maybe getting a stock distributor, thoughts? Here is the distributor I’ve been looking at: Pertronix Distributor Flame-Thrower Female Cap Billet Ignitor II 260/289/302
The reviews seem to be mostly good though several talk about it being unreliable over 6 months or so. Does anyone here use it or have opinions regarding it. Also, for those of you who use pertronix, is it reliable and does it perform well (Is MSD a better choice?)? I really just want something that’s going to last and has as few problems as possible. Let me know! And it y’all have any different suggestions all together let me know! Thanks!

·
Registered
420 Posts
You will get a lot of opinion on this subject so here is my 2 cents. I bought the same setup you are looking at for my 66FB. The first module lasted about 9 months. The second one lasted 10 days. After the second one , I thought of just changing the module to an igniter 1 or 3. Call Pertronix to see if I can interchange them....bad news. You cannot swap different ignitors in a Pertronix distributor. I pulled the Pertronix distributor and reinstalled the original points distributor. I don’t see any performance difference. From all the previous posts on this subject, the best I can make out of it is that the ignitor 1 and 3 seem to be the most reliable.
PS. You can have my Pertronix 2 distributor if you want to take a chance.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I switched from points and condenser to Pertronix on my car in 2005. That was on a 302. Since then I've used the same Pertronix on two additional engines... meaning: I took it off the 302 and put it on a 75 351W. That block cracked so I took it off that one and put it on my current 72 351W and it's still working very nicely. Whatever version of Pertronix was available in 2005 is what I have on the car now. No complaints.
I like the Pertronix because, other than an extra wire coming out of the distributor, everything looks OEM, same cap, no additional modules under the hood.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
A lot of positive discussion about using a standard Ford Dura-Spark system. NPD has a complete kit. Mine works flawlessly and if it ever fails you can get the parts anywhere and at time.
Others swear by the original points setup.
You'll get lots, and lots, of differing opinions.

·
Registered
21,066 Posts
Duraspark here as well. Simple, cheap and reliable. You can get a brand new Duraspark distributor from Rockauto for about $60. Very good quality too.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
There are a lot of views on this forum regarding Pertronix. I personally like them and have one of the OEM looking Pertronix on my Cleveland for the last 6 or 8 years with no issues.

Having said that, the one you selected is a billet distributor with the bowtie style cap. It's going to stand much taller than a normal distributor and most likely interfere with your air cleaner, plus you are going to have to modify your wiring slightly to use it. (the Pertronix need a good 12 volt source). If you insist on pertronix, I would suggest the following;

However, why not go with a Dura spark or even stay stock a use a Cardone. Much less money and others have said, readily available parts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A lot of positive discussion about using a standard Ford Dura-Spark system. NPD has a complete kit. Mine works flawlessly and if it ever fails you can get the parts anywhere and at time.
Others swear by the original points setup.
You'll get lots, and lots, of differing opinions.
There are a lot of views on this forum regarding Pertronix. I personally like them and have one of the OEM looking Pertronix on my Cleveland for the last 6 or 8 years with no issues.

Having said that, the one you selected is a billet distributor with the bowtie style cap. It's going to stand much taller than a normal distributor and most likely interfere with your air cleaner, plus you are going to have to modify your wiring slightly to use it. (the Pertronix need a good 12 volt source). If you insist on pertronix, I would suggest the following;

However, why not go with a Dura spark or even stay stock a use a Cardone. Much less money and others have said, readily available parts.
I think I might go with the pertronix III as it has great reviews, and seems to fit what I need overall! Could you explain the extra wiring part some? The website with the distributor recomends that I purchase a power relay kit and its function seems to complete what you said. Do you think you could elaborate? I am new to this so sorry if the questions seem weird!

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Sorry, I have no knowledge or experience with the power relay kit your referring to. I have no idea what it would be used for unless it allows you to use the lower voltage feed of your current engine feed harness going to the coil to trigger the relay. Just guessing and would have to see the info regarding its function.

Regardless, the Petronix itself needs a full 12Volt (from a keyed source) to operate properly. Your current keyed source (of your engine feed harness) that feeds the coil, passes through a resistor wire or possibly a ballast resistor to lower the voltage for use in operating your current points set up. People mistakenly use this with poor or no results because the voltage is under the necessary threshold for operating the Pertronix unit.

To overcome this, you need a full 12volt Keyed source. (keyed source meaning you have 12 volts when you ignition key is in the "ON" position as well as the "START" position. The pertronix had a red and black wire. You connect this 12volt keyed source to the Pertronix distributor red wire and the black wire of the distributor goes to the negative side of the coil.

I don't know of any pertronix that is a plug and play without having to do some wiring.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The standard point system has a "pink" wire feeding 12v to the coil. This wire has resistance built-in to reduce the voltage to the coil to about 6v during normal operation. There is a by-pass from the starter solenoid's "I" terminal to provide a full 12v when starting for a "hotter" spark. Note that others, like Chrysler, used a ceramic resister mounted on or near the coil to reduce the voltage.
Many aftermarket systems need a full 12v to operate all the time. What many do is use the pink wire (#16 in schematics) to operate a relay (they will trigger on the lower voltage) to provide a 12v source to the aftermarket system. It's really not as complicated as it might sound. Sorry, I don't have a schematic available to post to show you how it's done.

·
Registered
1964.5 mustang with 289
20 Posts
I had Pertronix III distributor lasted 1 year from install. The replacement from warranty lasted less then that. I even had the relay setup for 12 volts. I replace the Pertronix distributor with an Edelbrock plug and play distributor. Easy hook up. It does need 12 volts. Starts really easy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had Pertronix III distributor lasted 1 year from install. The replacement from warranty lasted less then that. I even had the relay setup for 12 volts. I replace the Pertronix distributor with an Edelbrock plug and play distributor. Easy hook up. It does need 12 volts. Starts really easy.
how well has the Edelbrock distributor been working? Can you link it too?

·
Registered
1964.5 mustang with 289
20 Posts
how well has the Edelbrock distributor been working? Can you link it too?
So far it’s been doing very well. no issues Since I put it in.
Here is the link

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So far it’s been doing very well. no issues Since I put it in.
Here is the link
Out of curiosity do you happen to know how necessary a rev-limiter is in an automatic car? I found this distributor:
It seems to a really good option other than it does not have a rev limiter. The Edelbrock distributor you linked looks great, but this one seems like a better option economically.

·
Registered
1964.5 mustang with 289
20 Posts
Out of curiosity do you happen to know how necessary a rev-limiter is in an automatic car? I found this distributor:
It seems to a really good option other than it does not have a rev limiter. The Edelbrock distributor you linked looks great, but this one seems like a better option economically.
I never had a rev limiter in my car. I don’t push the car enough to need one.
The summit distributor was the other one I was looking at. I think the summit has very good reviews too.

·
Registered
36,200 Posts
Why Duraspark II?

a) it's a very low maintenance (keep it clean and dry) solution.
b) bolts right in and looks just like the original (if you remove the large cap adapter and use the original small cap and rotor).
c) the advance mechanisms work identically to the original.
d) it works with the existing original feed (yes it uses the resistor wire) to the coil. No need to get a new coil with a fancy sticker!
e) the distributor can trigger any popular ignition box... the factory DurasparkII, Mopar, GM 4-pin, MSD, etc.
f) it works just as good as the $300+ plug and play units for $100 or less (and your labor).
g) satisfaction in knowing that you saved a couple hundred or more for that new console!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why Duraspark II?

a) it's a very low maintenance (keep it clean and dry) solution.
b) bolts right in and looks just like the original (if you remove the large cap adapter and use the original small cap and rotor).
c) the advance mechanisms work identically to the original.
d) it works with the existing original feed (yes it uses the resistor wire) to the coil. No need to get a new coil with a fancy sticker!
e) the distributor can trigger any popular ignition box... the factory DurasparkII, Mopar, GM 4-pin, MSD, etc.
f) it works just as good as the $300+ plug and play units for $100 or less (and your labor).
g) satisfaction in knowing that you saved a couple hundred or more for that new console!
My distributor was shot so, after being unable to find a good oem dual point dizzy, I bought the Pertronix II rtr (I was told this one will fit my 1972 Mustang Q code 351C-4v without modification). Installed it, regapped and engine finally runs great, until I try to button it up and discover the distributor is too tall (about 2" taller than stock) for the air cleaner to fit. As I am in the midst of adding ram air I do not have any spare height and cannot install a spacer, is there a different pertronix II distributor I can swap that will fit with the air cleaner?

Please, exactly what parts would I need to switch to the Duraspark II for a 1972 Mustang Q code (351c-4v)? When I look on the parts sites there doesn't seem to be a complete solution and the MSD type units seem to run much more than the pertronix. I'm sorry if I am uninformed, new to mustangs.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I’ve used that summit distributor for the last 5 years or so and it has worked flawlessly. I’ve got no complaints whatsoever.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’m looking to replace the distributor on a 1965 mustang 260. It currently has an old outdated Accel distributor and coil that is horribly unreliable on start-up and frequently shuts the car off . I want to replace it with an electric ignition distributor as I hear it’s very reliable and performs well. Though, I’m open to maybe getting a stock distributor, thoughts? Here is the distributor I’ve been looking at: Pertronix Distributor Flame-Thrower Female Cap Billet Ignitor II 260/289/302
The reviews seem to be mostly good though several talk about it being unreliable over 6 months or so. Does anyone here use it or have opinions regarding it. Also, for those of you who use pertronix, is it reliable and does it perform well (Is MSD a better choice?)? I really just want something that’s going to last and has as few problems as possible. Let me know! And it y’all have any different suggestions all together let me know! Thanks!
Well, your post is supposedly new, but it says it's 25 days old, so hopefully you have a solution by now.
But, here is my experience.
What U want is called an electronic distributor, not an electric one.
That means the old mechanical points & condensed system that trigger the ignition process, have been replaced by some sort of electronic ignition signaling device. Far as I know there are typically 3 kinds, magnetic pulse, LED and something called, the Hall Effect, which I'm unfamiliar with.
Myself, I chose a MALLORY Uni-lite distributor along with a matching Mallory ignition hi- performance coil and 8 mm spiral-wound ignition wires.
I installed this system 30+ years ago and I've never replaced anything. I just set it and drove it!
My modified 289 is capable of 7,200 rpm and it doesn't & never did miss a beat w/the MALLORY set-up installed.
Granted, I don't drive my car a lot of miles per year, only in ideal weather, i.e., no rain in all that time either.
I once stored the car for 7 years, without firing it. Changed the gasoline, oil & filter and it fired right up.
I haven't changed the wires, spark plugs, distributor cap or the LED ignition module in the distributor.
I have roughly 60,000 miles on it, since I installed the MALLOY system.
I hear MSD stuff is hard to beat.
I've heard that occasionally the Pertronix stuff has problems. But remember, the Pertronix unit is an upgrade to your current stock distributor, which may be the root of said problems, with worn stock parts that the Pertronix kit does not address.
SUMMIT Racing & JEGS still sell both, MALLORY & MSD stuff, I think.
The MALLORY Uni-lite cost me $118, back around 1985ish.
Don't know what the price is 2day though.
Never used the magnetic trigger type, but it's my guess it's equal to the LED (Light Emitting Diode) units.
I believe both use a disc shutter wheel to break the magnetic field or LED light, to trigger the ignition process.
Outside of the newer coil fire to each cylinder and direct fire systems on the newest stuff and the expensive crank-trigger fire performance stuff, this is the best way to go. 😊

·
Registered
523 Posts
I replaced my points distributor with an Accel Blueprint distributor (remanufactured Duraspark large cap) for a ‘78 Granada 302.

As mentioned already, can use small cap if you want as well.

Still works great and vacuum advance is adjustable

I used it with an aftermarket ignition system over 25 years ago.

Never had a problem with distributor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts