Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for all of the help with my last post about my oil consumption problem. I performed a simple test today that I should have done earlier.I took off the breather from the left valve cover,and removed the PCV valve from it's grommet in the right cover.Air is being pulled into the engine at both locations, which of course is the opposite of what you would expect.SO,I'm thinking the engine builder must have messed up when installing the intake manifold.I bought a new gasket set,and it looks really simple.I read somewhere that you can install the gaskets wrong and cause really bad oil burning. i hope when I pull the manifold tomorrow it's obvious what the problem is,has anybody out there seen this before?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Keep us updated! I have been following this out of pure curiosity. Never seen this before.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It happens alot with big blocks, the intake manifold to head gasket is under the valve cover. When the intake manifold gasket is leaking you can pull the pvc valve and breathers from the valve covers and plug the holes with your thumb and with the engine running it will try to suck your thumb in.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea buddy,I couldn't believe the noise that was made when i pulled my hand off the breather opening with the PCV hole blocked, Talk about the golf ball and garden hose thing!! Of course this extra air was leaning out the mixture bad enough to cause rapid heat rise in the cooling system as soon as you stopped with the engine running, and the insulators on the plugs were whiter than when they went in.i'm just glad it's fixed.We were talking yesterday about how you could tell if the manifold bolts weren't tight enough.I went back out to the garage and re-examined the old gaskets.Except for a little sealer where the water jackets are,there were no impressions in them where they met the mating surfaces of the manifold and heads.Maybe the guy got a phone call in the middle of this part of the assembly,maybe he went to lunch half way through,no way of knowing now.i worked in a Ford dealership for 5 years right out of high school,learned a lot in that time,always asking questions of the men who really knew what they were doing.They built engines with their trusty CP impact wrenches,I never saw a torque wrench the whole time i worked there.They didn't need no stinkin" torque wrench,they did everything by feel,and i don't remember anything ever coming back.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Glad u got it figured out whicks. Of course the leaking intake and plugging the breather and pcv valve will only work on a inside side gasket leak unless it's like a big block ford that has a valve cover covering the intake to head gasket area. Brake cleaner sprayed on the outside of the intake manifold gasket will let u know it's leaking by the engine reving up when sprayed. Maybe the builder had to get another beer when he was torquing the intake down. C-ya Scott

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you remove the baffles from the valve covers to clear roller rockers?

Those baffles will interrupt the airflow your engine is imposing on the PCV and slow things down such that you don't suck oil.

My bronco had this same problem after i rebuilt the engine....I am now adding a new intake and tall valve covers with baffles.

·
Registered
282 Posts
. Brake cleaner sprayed on the outside of the intake manifold gasket will let u know it's leaking by the engine reving up when sprayed. C-ya Scott
Hey Scott, be careful using brake cleaner in a fashion that may cause it to combust. Do a Google search on brake cleaner to fosgene (phosgene) gas conversion, nasty stuff! I would use carb cleaner or wd40 instead. Hate to see your widow selling your car here! LOL! kip
Edit; Heres a great article for you, probably wouldn't hurt us all to read it
http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Hey Scott, be careful using brake cleaner in a fashion that may cause it to combust. Do a Google search on brake cleaner to fosgene (phosgene) gas conversion, nasty stuff! I would use carb cleaner or wd40 instead.

Never clean metal with brake cleaner, before welding as well. It can be fatal!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Or clean wires before u solder then with a small torch. Don't worry about the brake cleaner and spraying it on a engine to find a vac. leak. Only use it sparingly and small shot's of it. Been doing it for 15 year's and no problem yet. Wait where's the wood to knock on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts