Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'll,if anybody thought intake manifold gaskets,you win. My builder used a crappy off brand gasket set on my engine,couple that with half of the bolts a little more than finger tight,and you have all eight cylinders pulling oil from the valley right into the cylinders!! I'm calling him right now to tell him what I think about his so called expert engine assembly.

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
Hopefully his building skills surpass his assembly skills. Good luck.
Stan

·
Registered
955 Posts
Glad you figured it out. I'm surprised with that much oil going to the cylinders, it wasn't smoking or leaving residue in the tail pipes.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
Installation is critical. Broke down one Sunday, back when NOTHING was open on Sundays. Blew a water pump. Sent the other car to go scrounge a water pump, two hour round trip. Came back with a pump, but no gasket in the box. Using the little scissors in a Swiss Army knife, made a gasket out of a tissue box. I figured the guy would swap in a proper gasket later that week. Coupla years later, I asked him about it. Seems he drove it with that tissue-box gasket in there for a year or more, then sold it like that. Never did leak.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Installation is critical. Broke down one Sunday, back when NOTHING was open on Sundays. Blew a water pump. Sent the other car to go scrounge a water pump, two hour round trip. Came back with a pump, but no gasket in the box. Using the little scissors in a Swiss Army knife, made a gasket out of a tissue box. I figured the guy would swap in a proper gasket later that week. Coupla years later, I asked him about it. Seems he drove it with that tissue-box gasket in there for a year or more, then sold it like that. Never did leak.
I would have used a tampon box, but I'm sure the tissue box offered plenty of leak protection.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am a little worried about the quality of the head gaskets,if they go,the builder is fixing the thing,now that I know what crap he used.Oil finally did start to migrate to the tailpipes,I'm going to run it awhile,and then clean up my Gt tips.Thanks again for all of the input.I feel a little slow not figuring it out sooner,but no real harm done. Just drained the oil ,not one piece or flake of metal in the drain pan,things are looking up!!!

·
Premium Member
10,955 Posts
I'm calling him right now to tell him what I think about his so called expert engine assembly.
i can call him if you like. i'm really good at tellin people off !!!:shocked::shocked::pirate::bitch::shaking: :jedi::bricks: hay :ba: you used :bs: intake gaskets :wtf:

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I think at this point once I had the oil drained I would have pulled the pan and valve covers and checked all the torque on all the bolts. It would be a shame for something to come loose, especially after no warranty. I just don't trust others to be as particular as I am. Some people call it being ANAL. I call it being SURE.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Please note, I'm new, and do not know you from Adam, but I have to say this, When you say finger tight do you really mean finger tight? or not as tight as you expect it to be?

20-30 foot lbs is not very much (also spec for many nuts and bolts) but to a person who is not used to working on cars, it may seem too loose. There is a reason for torque wrenches.

I agree he most likely installed the gasket incorrectly. I doubt however he forgot to tighten all the bolts but it is possible, just doubtful since you did not complain about the car running rough.

I was at a coffee shop the other day and was watching some yuppie change a tire out front. For whatever reason he thought he had to stand on the wrench to tighten each lug nut :shrug:

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
We'll,if anybody thought intake manifold gaskets,you win. My builder used a crappy off brand gasket set on my engine,couple that with half of the bolts a little more than finger tight,and you have all eight cylinders pulling oil from the valley right into the cylinders!! I'm calling him right now to tell him what I think about his so called expert engine assembly.
Hi,
When you say finger tight should be about (20-25 ft. lbs). Where they, litterally, finger tight?
Obviously, he missed them in the assembly routine. What a shame.
Happy Motoring....now!

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Keep in mind that intake gaskets usually require a retorque after several heat cycles. I've read many stories of this happening all the time. Your builder should have followed up with a retorque session.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this engine was using oil from the very first start up.Of course i was joking just a little about how tight some of the bolts were,but when you can loosen a bolt just by twisting your ratchet head without using the handle,it couldn't have been very tight.The only one that was what i would deem normal was the rear most bolt on the left side.I had to use the ratchet handle on that one. I just may drop the pan after my next oil change in 500 miles and check all of the torque values on the bottom end as suggested, that would also give ma a chance to replace the cork gasket they used,I thought they were all in museums now!!!

·
Premium Member
10,955 Posts
:pirate:

you know you should reaally record a episode on youtube so we can all hear your skills! I get a kick out of it:pirate:
one a theese daze i'm gonna gitta camera ! that was a pretty good reply. i still get a laugh when i read it. i did miss one word i shoulda put in. i gotta go edit it !

·
Registered
52 Posts
...that would also give ma a chance to replace the cork gasket they used,I thought they were all in museums now!!!
Don't be so quick to dismiss some of the old products available out there. Especially if it's compared to "New technology" If they are really that bad they would not be made anymore. This stuff was available on the cars when they were brand new and they stayed sealed for years.

For example.

Over a period of a year, I easily spent well over $100 trying to seal and reseal my valve covers with these high dollar 'new technology' valve cover gaskets. Well none of them worked and 10 minutes after installing a brand new set of $45 valve gaskets, they leaked like a sieve! I needed a pair of valve cover gaskets on a Sunday and only the $6.99 cork gaskets were available.

Guess what? They sealed and they have been seal for the last two years! I even reused them when I readjusted the valves. :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts