Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am super excited, I bought my first Mustang, it is the 66 Coupe, 6 inline 170.

I was going to move to the states but for familly and visa issues I did not move jet, and looks like it will take a while; therefore a bought and bring to Spain a piece of USA.
I am a classic cars lover/adicted; usually a german car guy Porsche, BMW, VW, but always really liked the mustangs.

I purchased the car without title and I managed to get the title with DVM and I will be shipping the car soon.

I was somehow needing a project and I bought a car that was requiring a lot of work that I could do, or at least large part of it. So this is my new ride:

It has significant body work required, where I consider my self OK, and that is why I bought it.

The engine runs here is a quick video so excited with the sound and the purchase

I plan to go and post the updates in this post when I give it a new life to this lovely mustang.
Most provably I will paint it white with blue stripes to match the interior which is the best part of the car.

I will need some help with the break system as it almost doesnt break
Thanks a lot and feel free to comment anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
788 Posts
Congrats and welcome.

When you start your rebuild, there is a Build section on this forum that you can post in. This way you have one thread to post all your updates and get help when required.

Good luck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Congratulations. The brakes are pretty easy to adjust. My guess you have 4 wheel drum brakes. Pull the wheels, drums and take a look. If the shoes look good, they might need adjusting. There is a threaded adjuster at the bottom.

The Internet is your friend and you can find everything you need from parts to how to install and adjust your brakes. Post questions if you get stuck. These old cars are very simple.

Enjoy your new Mustang and be safe.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
We have another member from Spain (Ibiza Island) here who also owns a '66 Hardtop with the 200 six cylinder. Look for posts by Josep.

It appears that your Mustang was painted with a base coat/clear coat system and the clear coat is peeling off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi everyone, Thanks a lot for your very kind welcome, I am glad I joined.

I will contact Josep however, I do not visit Ibiza (island) that much but maybe next summer who knows :)

·
Registered
908 Posts
I will contact Josep however, I do not visit Ibiza (island) that much but maybe next summer who knows :)
Hola mawa, bienvenido al grupo, ya nos dirás tu nombre.

Welcome aboard, you will find here all you need for your restoration as there are many knowledgeable people around that will help you.
66 inline were 200cid IIRC, so if your car is a 170cid is because a PO swapped the original engine. 170s were mainly to 1964 1/2 and 65 cars (Code V).

Ya nos dirás tu nombre y localidad por favor.
Wish you a lot of luck in your restoration, and maybe we will meet one day.! If there is anything I can help, just drop me an email [email protected] for what you need.

Un saludo,

Josep

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hola mawa, bienvenido al grupo, ya nos dirás tu nombre.

Welcome aboard, you will find here all you need for your restoration as there are many knowledgeable people around that will help you.
66 inline were 200cid IIRC, so if your car is a 170cid is because a PO swapped the original engine. 170s were mainly to 1964 1/2 and 65 cars (Code V).

Ya nos dirás tu nombre y localidad por favor.
Wish you a lot of luck in your restoration, and maybe we will meet one day.! If there is anything I can help, just drop me an email [email protected] for what you need.

Un saludo,

Josep
Josep muchas gracias,

I am Alvaro, I am in Madrid, whenever you are around let me know.

I say that it is a 170 because it is indicated in the title but perhaps, it is a 200 engine. I suppose it was manufactured in 66, and I thought that Ford continued manufacturing the 170 until 1968.

Mine is 3 speeds manual transmission, I heard is not the best configuration but I wanted manual as I am used to European cars.

Thanks a lot everyone for being so welcoming and I look forward updating you guys as soon I get on it.

My only update is that I manage to recover a savage title and now is a clean title (it had California tags debts and no title).

Recently, I purchase the trunk floor for replacement as it was bit rusty and wanted a clean solid trunk. I did not purchase the fuel tank as it was not bad, and in the lower part has no rust at all.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Alvaro, please to meet you.! Sometimes I am around Madrid, but now I haven’t been for a while.

Check this link to determinate if you have a 170 or 200 http://mustangtimes.net/31-5/pg50.pdf
Titles sometimes are wrong, or it could be right, but definitely not the application for the model year you have as there were no 170 motors in the 66 models, they were upgraded to 200.
How about the door tag plate..? Does your car has it..? It will provide you a lot of information as well.

Looks like you already have a nice bunch of parts to start your restoration, cool.!!
BTW, have you already imported your car from the US or it’s still there..? I have a car there that I will import at the end of the year, but first we will enjoy driving it there before bringing it here.

Josep

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Welcome lots of experience here to help with your new project.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alvaro, please to meet you.! Sometimes I am around Madrid, but now I haven’t been for a while.

Check this link to determinate if you have a 170 or 200 http://mustangtimes.net/31-5/pg50.pdf
Titles sometimes are wrong, or it could be right, but definitely not the application for the model year you have as there were no 170 motors in the 66 models, they were upgraded to 200.
How about the door tag plate..? Does your car has it..? It will provide you a lot of information as well.

Looks like you already have a nice bunch of parts to start your restoration, cool.!!
BTW, have you already imported your car from the US or it’s still there..? I have a car there that I will import at the end of the year, but first we will enjoy driving it there before bringing it here.

Josep
Josep,
Thanks a lot for the link, indeed it has 5 freeze plugs, so 200.
I am super happy 20Hp more :grin2:

I saw it on a video I recoreded it from the engine

If you have the stock am radio and want to upgrade to an am/fm, or am fm with blue tooth that fits the original radio hole I can ship one to you.
Thanks, what price? think I might get it upgraded after the restoration but is good to know.

I would check the brakes before you drive it. It is very common for the wheel cylinders and master cylinder to leak if they are old or have sat for a long time. You can check the wheel cylinders by removing the wheels then pulling the rubber boot back on the wheel cylinder and looking inside that area with a flashlight. If it is wet inside, it is leaking. You can do the same with the master cylinder. Move the drivers seat all the way back then try to get under the dash and pull back the rubber boot on the master cylinder. These are sometimes not there. Look at the end of the master where the brake rod goes in and see if it is leaking. Also feel the bottom of the master and feel if it is wet. If just one part is leaking and you replace it, one or more of the other parts may soon start leaking so check them all periodically if you don't replace them all.
Thanks a lot for the cylinders explanation, I will do so once is here. We were trying to take out the air the other day but some pieces were to old to rotate.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks to be a 66 from the photos.
Indeed you were right! I am glad you did :laugh:

Ahhh new Mustang face - boy my Mustang has given me a lot of other faces since my new Mustang face 22 years ago! Big points for photos and video!

Welcome!
Hope to continue with this face much more time :grin2:

Welcome lots of experience here to help with your new project.
Thanks, I am sure and I already started learning from the knowledge of this forum and these members.
:pirate:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have another member from Spain (Ibiza Island) here who also owns a '66 Hardtop with the 200 six cylinder. Look for posts by Josep.

It appears that your Mustang was painted with a base coat/clear coat system and the clear coat is peeling off.
Maybe it was painted with a base coat/clear coat system, I never heard about it, but is siroursly pelling off, and in where it has pelied, it is bit of superficial rust.
I think it will not be a big pain to clean it. I plan to do it as much as a can with a paint remover liquid, and then sand the rest and the rust.

Regards,
Alvaro

·
Registered
578 Posts
¡Bienvenidos y felicidades Alvaro! Viví varios años en Andalucia. Si te puedo ayudar con algo díme.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hi Guys

I got the TITLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am again super excited :)

I am scheduling the shipping today for arriving asps with Schumacher Cargo Logistics.

By the way, today I also discovered that my car was manufactured in Dearborn, Michigan, with the VIN decoder, and also with the door plates number, I have discovered that originally it was silver blue metallic and Blue Crinkle Vinyl and Blue Rosette Vinyl, Bench Seat for Jan 21st 66.

Now I am pretty sure it is a 200 :)

How would I know if it is Matching number? is there anywhere documented?
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
908 Posts
How would I know if it is Matching number? is there anywhere documented?
Thanks.
Alvaro, I am happy you have received your title.!
Schumacher is a good company and I believe I have also looked for their services for my Convertible.

I don’t believe you can say this is a matching number because the motor wasn’t stamped with the VIN as Ford did with the K-code and other cars in later years. You need to check the casting numbers in the engine as well as the ones that could appear in your tranny. Check the carb tag if it has one, the window stamping, door latches, etc..Also check your rear end for a tag were you will find some numbers that altogether will say you if all these stuff is original to your car or at least period correct. But not matching numbers for our cars.
Ford destroyed all the documents until 66, so no way to document the car. Up from 67 you can have Marti reports that will tell all about our cars, but nothing for us the 66ers.

Josep

·
Registered
908 Posts
Schumacher lost over $10,000.00 worth of NOS parts I delivered to them then tried to say I never delivered them until I showed them photos and the receipt for them their counter person signed when I delivered them.
WTF..!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts