Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last few weeks my son Mikey & I have been working on his car (’98 Eclipse). The thing leaked oil like a sieve and oil was getting into the coolant. I suspected the problem was bad head gasket but the clutch was also slipping so didn’t really know what I might find.

So over the last few weeks Mikey & I pulled the transverse engine/trans and tore it down to the short block, had a valve job done on the DOHC head, replaced head gasket, various seals and installed new clutch. The past 3 nights have been spent re-installing it and getting everything hooked back up and last night came the moment of truth………….

Freek’n thing fired right up! :clap: :hail:

Talk about relief……. Ever since we pulled the first wire off that motor I was worried we wouldn’t be able to get it all back together and everything plugged back in right .You wouldn’t believe how much accessory, coolant lines, and pollution control crap was bolted on that thing. Not to mention the 20 something electrical connections and the fact they usually install motors on those cars form underneath :p

Tonight the hood and wheels go back on, then we go for a drive!

Next on the father/son project list…………………. New Paint :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
NICE!

If the brewery thing doesn't pan out you could always open "Ken's Japanese Auto"! ;)

Now for the real question...did you let him do any of the work? :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
:thumbsup: One might think you would have a bucket full of bolts left over along with a couple rubber lines. But glad you was able to pull it off. :grin:

Now I know who to contact when my wifes Acura goes down. ;)

Paint it RED

Troy

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bbenthin said:
Now for the real question...did you let him do any of the work? :lol:
Sure! I had him hand me tools and whenever I thought I might bust my knuckles, I let him use it :roflao:

Actually he did allot of the grunt work, but when it came down to pulling disassembling/assembling the timing components and valve train, I made sure I did the work but he was around so I could explain why I was doing what I was doing. For the most part, I didn’t lift a wrench unless he was in the garage with me, which is why the process took over a month.

4280 said:
One might think you would have a bucket full of bolts left over along with a couple rubber lines.
As a matter of fact, the only fasteners I had left over were the head bolts I replaced and the washers that go on top of the rubber grommets used to hold/seal the valve covers (Replacement grommets didn’t use them)………….. Even surprised myself :p

6T6mustang said:
So was it a bad head gasket that was the issue?
I hope so :p You couldn’t really tell by looking at the head gasket, but the block showed signs of seepage around the coolant chambers, and main oil galley coming from the oil pump near the No1 cylinder bore. The seal rings of the head gasket looked OK, and seal marks were clean around all the bores. You could also see signs of seepage on the side of the end of the block just bellow the head which is normally hidden by the timing belt cover. I guess only time will tell

He did take it for spin last night, but it wasn’t too long before I got a call he was overheated :bitch: ………………… Looks to be a bad heater hose and/or clamp job. Easy fix, but a bitch to get to so unless he fixes it himself, he’s gunna have to wait to drive it until the Mrs. & I get back from VEGAS!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts