Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i bought a new chrome one-piece export brace from mustangs plus. First i must add, the chrome quality is pretty dumpy. the curves weren't polished before the chroming so it looks like the piece had stones thrown at it before. anyways, the mounting location at the firewall on the export brace (where the four bolt holes are located) i think may have a flaw. instead of the whole mounting area being flat, there is a large hump between the inner two mounting holes. are they like that on all export braces? i assumed it should be flat all the way across the firewall. another question, i put a new front clip in my car and the tops of the shock towers must be moved out about a 1/2". is there any possible way of doing this with the motor in the car? i am sure someone has ran into this problem before. and i did let the car sit overnight on jack stands with the wheels off of the car so the shock towers would relax. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The export brace should be flat at the firewall. If the brace you bought looks as bad as you say, and mounting part at the firewall is not flat, I would return it and buy one from somewhere else.

As for moving the shock towers out 1/2" you may need to use a small bottle jack and some lumber to push the shock towers out a little.

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
found some good install info, so that is not needed now. i just need to know if my brace is special with a deform or if others are like that. i agree that it should be flat but i thought i would ask everyone here. i have emailed Mustangs Plus.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
you can mount the brace ends loosely to the shock towers, d put in longer bolts to firewall brace holes, and pull brace down with 2 bolts. then install 2 regular bolts at firewall remove and replace long ones. mine were like yours and brace went in easily.

·
Vendor
5,304 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts