Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a new fender and noticed I can buy the lower patch piece along with the inner brace patch panel. Which kind of got me thinking of patching my fender and keeping the better fitting ford fender. As always I second guess my choices and I'm just wondering what others would do. Just so everyone knows I am practically welding the entire car back together and getting close to finishing up the welding on all the panels and will soon be ready to move onto the doors and such.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I have the same issue and I'm going to fix my Ford original, as I KNOW it will fit and how to repair it correctly. Forget that aftermarket stuff.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I saved my original right fender using a repro fender for donor parts. I needed the lower behind the wheel, the inner brace and the lip around the wheel well. Save the original if you can as the repro's don't have nice clean/sharp lines.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Patch if possible. Original sheet metal always fit correctly, have better details and are made in a better quality of steel. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I say patch the panels if you can...20+ years ago when I bought my car I had rust in the bottom rear part of the wheel wells for each front fender. Stupidly I bought repro fenders and had the body man use them when he painted the car...he told me it took him several hours of fitment to get them just right. If you can fix your originals without too much effort, I stay keep the original sheetmetal as much as possible.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent. Its easy to get caught up in the new fender idea because it looks so clean and looks ready to bolt on and go. Plus the new fender is only about $50 more than buying the two lower patches panels I need, the lower fender part and part of the inner brace. I will buy the patches and save my current fender. Thanks for all the replies, it helped me make up my mind.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I'd do.... and I'd try to avoid going near the rear edge and the wheel opening, if at all possible.
That should be a problem for me. My fender is bac right around the area where the back inner brace is.

·
Registered
33,629 Posts
That should be a problem for me. My fender is bac right around the area where the back inner brace is.
You gotta do what you gotta do. Just pay a little "attention to detail" in the profiles of the edge where the metal is rolled back onto itself and the wheel opening lines... the repro stuff isn't stamped as "crisply" and frequently needs a bit of "assistance" with hammer, dolly or file.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts