Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally (but momentarily!) sorted my lack of turn signals in my '68. It WAS the flasher. I had been given a 'universal' flasher by another classic owner. I put it in, and both left and right signals worked, although the flashing was VERY fast and seemed weak (didnt seem to illuminate much as it has previous)

A while later i fired up the car - no turn signals! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

This is what it says on the flasher

------------------
9FL 12V
12A MAX
Flasher

-------------

I'm no electrical expert, but could the flasher have been completely wrong for the car - thus working only once in an odd pattern?

Thanks,

Gary

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
The only time I have heard of different flasher speed, and weakness was when one or more turn signals were burnt out. I suppose it if was the wrong flasher, it could cause the same effect. I say try locating 1, or 2 (one for a spare) flashers that is correct for your car. They have them here in the states for 2.99 a peice. Im not sure about your country though. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
sounds like either it was not right flasher or your +12V may be to high (VR) as evident of fast flashing - the fast flashing turns bulb on/off so fast it does not have time to emit light relevant to time and contrast lost. check your +12 V (should be 13 +/- 0.5 Vs. if ok go to NAPA and get proper flasher - only $2 or so.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was the ONLY two pin flasher i could locate - and it was 14 years old too (but never even opened!)

Plus, this one was square - but the previous 2 in the car were round (came with a pre-burned out one in the glove box)

I might have to import a few of them

One question though - would it be possible to just run a wire from one pin into the other? I mean (im guessing here) that it would cause the turn signal to be permanantly lit?

Or am i totally wrong on that?

Thanks,

Gary

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Correct, it would cause it to be lit, with no flashing. The flasher supplys, and then blocks voltage. Everytime its blocked the light is out, everytime its supplyed the light is on. Thats what gives the signal its flashing action. I have never tried to "jump" the flasher, but Im sure it would work.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might do that wire thing into the two pins - i need a temporary turn signal setup as it could take weeks to get a few flasher units.

I had thought maybe it would blow a fuse , or burn the wires, but like i said im not an electrical guy.

Thanks,

Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts