Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
And just imagine when somebody puts a supercharger or a couple of turbos on it.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
And just imagine when somebody puts a supercharger or a couple of turbos on it.
lol, I wasnt even thinking that...I was thinking more of a Ford alternative to a LS swap(well, aside from the iron block anyway...but iron block 4 bolt mains is good for strength). A a 500HP 445 Cubic Inch Ford engine that might possibly fit between the shock towers of early mustangs? A big block in a small block package...all speculation without actual dimensions...but it doesnt look much bigger than a typical SBF

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
lol, I wasnt even thinking that...I was thinking more of a Ford alternative to a LS swap(well, aside from the iron block anyway...but iron block 4 bolt mains is good for strength). A a 500HP 445 Cubic Inch Ford engine that might possibly fit between the shock towers of early mustangs? A big block in a small block package...all speculation without actual dimensions...but it doesnt look much bigger than a typical SBF
lol....Yeah, my first thought was "Screw your LS swap!" .

I am kinda' thinking Ford needs to slap a blower on one and announce the return of the Lightning, this time with Thor's hammer behind it.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
lol....Yeah, my first thought was "Screw your LS swap!" .

I am kinda' thinking Ford needs to slap a blower on one and announce the return of the Lightning, this time with Thor's hammer behind it.
Yeah, and call it "The Hammer"

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Somewhere in a Ford basement there is a guy with one of these things on an engine stand that has done some crazy $h!+ to it and he plans to push it onto an elevator, take it upstairs and convince somebody to kill El Diablo with it.

Call it the Exorcist.

·
Registered
604 Posts
It makes 400+ TQ from 1500 rpm to redline and peak HP at 5500 rpm stock. Sounds to me like a VERY fun street engine in a car. Remember the TQ/HP are modern net HP/TQ and not the oldschool gross numbers or engine dyno numbers. The 7.3 are lighter, gets better MPG and make (even in stock truck setup) more power than the vintage HP big blocks did. Whats not to like? :)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its just a shame its going to be a relatively low-volume production engine for more industrial applications....but the advantage of that is that the computer system is going to be much simpler and more swap friendly that something with 20 can-bus modules like newer passenger cars

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Only took them nearly twenty five years to figure out an overly complex overhead cam engine maybe wasn't such a great idea in an HD truck. Can't wait to see this engine once it actually starts hitting the dealer's lots, it might actually convince me to buy a Ford truck in the future.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I think I'll be dead before a significant number of those show up in boneyards. Good for the motorhome industry though! It's just a replacement for the V-10 for those who won't spring for the diesel. It's a smart move by Ford to finally start realizing that an over head cam engine is generally not necessary for truck use. I'd buy a Expedition if they put the 7.3 gas motor in it instead of the V6.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
It looks initially like it will come with a fairly tall profile, more suitable for a pickup truck. Probably will have to wait for the aftermarket to catch up and offer a lower profile injection/manifold package and oiling system. At that point it could be more easily utilized in a car.

I am thinking more suitable for a full sized ford like a Grand Torino etc.

·
Registered
604 Posts
It looks initially like it will come with a fairly tall profile, more suitable for a pickup truck. ..
Quote from a Road and Track article about the 7.3: "And if you're wondering if it'll fit in a Mustang, Beltramo told us it's actually shorter in height and narrower than a Coyote V-8, but quite a bit longer thanks to much increased bore centers."

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
Interesting. No doubt it will be available as a crate engine for service replacement. I expect it will be used in a whole lotta U-Haul and furniture delivery trucks. If we could find out what happens to those when they get totaled, that might be a good source for a used example. (A lot of U-Haul trucks likely get totaled by renters who never drove a truck before.) Of course, any U-Haul truck engine with any miles on it would likely require a complete rebuild. I'm not sure U-Haul ever changes the oil in their trucks

There's a whole lotta room between the water pump and radiator under the hood of my '70 Mustang. I'd be surprised if that engine wouldn't fit with electric cooling fans. You could pick up a 69/70 coupe pretty cheap, drop in a 7.3 and have a really cool street terror and weekend track warrior.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, trucks and RVs. This isn’t a performance car engine it’s a work mule.
So is a 460 and they make a good performance engine...power and torque are power and torque regardless of application...the fact its designed with increased durability in mind is only an advantage if used as a performance engine....its no Voodoo engine, but it still has appeal in a performance application....or at least a muscle car application.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
It’s beefy but you can get better performance with less displacement, better mileage, smaller package and lighter weight with an Eco Boost. For the trucks I’d rather see a more affordable diesel I5 option than a big displacement gas engine. I don’t see it going into a lot of performance cars or restomods when there are other options.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It’s beefy but you can get better performance with less displacement, better mileage, smaller package and lighter weight with an Eco Boost. For the trucks I’d rather see a more affordable diesel I5 option than a big displacement gas engine. I don’t see it going into a lot of performance cars or restomods when there are other options.
I agree, the Ecoboost v6 is one of the better engines Ford has ever made...but it does have its drawbacks:

1. Its shares the same basic longblock size as the Cyclone 3.7L engine(not a problem in itself...but that longblock also has the same width and height as a 351w) which means that by the time you stick turbos on the side of the engine, there is no way its fitting between the shock towers of earlier Ford cars. This could potentially be solved with custom turbo manifolds...but at that point you are better off just turbocharging a 3.7L

2. Its direct injection...which is again fine if you dont have any intention of increasing its HP, but DI limits you to using a Ford ECU, and limits you on upgrades(people often have to add supplemental conventional injectors to get significantly more power). So if you plan to upgrade it beyond what the factory intended...again, the 3.7L with its conventional port injection engine and no belt run injection pump is a better choice.

That being said, if you wanted 350HP with no intention of ever upgrading the engine and didn't mind making custom exhaust manifolds to relocated the turbos to squeeze it into the engine bay, it would be a perfect swap candidate in vintage fords. I considered the ecoboost for my swap...but the 3.7L is just the more versatile engine in the end...people slap turbos on them all the time and put down 500HP on the stock longblock.

But back to the topic at hand...the 7.3L will fit where neither the Ecoboost nor the Coyote will. I cut out the shock towers on one Mustang, but engines that allow me to retain them are much more desirable than engines that dont....and that is why the 7.3L is appealing...width and height. You are absolutely correct a diesel would be the better choice for Ford's larger vehicles though(I would say an inline 6 though instead of an inline 5 just because the 6 is slightly more durable). I am just happy that Ford is offering the 7.3L engine while being slightly sad it will be relatively low production(IE more expensive than it should be). More engine options is always a good thing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts