Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Evening Everyone,

I am new to FL and new to working on this '66... Kind of. This car has been with my family since it was new and is certified 64,319 miles since new. Old, faded, and dried out it started it journey in PA and has lived all over the US now. 289 Auto Coupe in red with very little rust (just starting on the doors and rear quarters) and an immaculate interior. The car has always been the topic of generational projects but never actually happened. Over the years we have rebuilt the carb and wheel cylinders more times than anyone should ever have to rebuild those items. I have built this car in theory and paper almost every year for the past 20 but never had the time, opportunity or money to do it.

Now comes today. Since moving to FL I have met some new people, became friends and am now in the thralls of a complete rebuild. My buddy is retired from restoring classics and is willing to lend me his shop and help me get this back to better than new. I am hoping that I will be able to find and ask questions here to help guide me through the process that was not planned but is already underway.

We started talking about doing a good quality which has not spiraled out of control and we are planning to strip it down completely and have it blasted on a rotisserie. In the phase after that will POR15 the underbelly, weld in a unibody brace with driveshaft tunnel and replace every bit of suspension with 1.5 inch drop front progressives and 1 inch 4.5 mid eye rear leaf, a Shelby Drop and Koni adjustable. The brakes will be converted to disk all the way around. I am not sure what tire/wheel combo will fit but hoping for 15x6/7 with 215/60 in front and 225/60 in rear.

The car itself will be a candy apple red with fine metallic and candy coat clear. Debating a pearl rally stripe design.

All LED lights and bumpers are sent to MI for straightening and re-chroming.

Trans is needing a rebuild, as it leaks out of every seal it has. Hoping to get some guidance on a good rebuild and also ordered a 1969 valve body to make it a true 3 speed with a ratchet shifter on the tunnel.

Engine is all original and looking to make some good power upgrades while it is out. Any input on cam, head and intake/carb is appreciated. Good compression numbers, but needs to be cleaned up and refreshed. Exhaust is going to be long tube headers, matched with an x-pipe and true duals.

These are all goals but nothing is set in stone. I want to make the car enjoyable and use it to take the family on a cruise to the beach or some shows in the future.

Any opinions or ideas are welcomed. I have thick skin and need to hear any problems anyone sees with my theoretical setup.

I look forward to chatting with everyone and can't wait to start posting and helping others as I laern more about these cars.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Welcome! Looks like a very nice car to start your project with. Great family story too. Engine is a 289 just for clarification (perhaps that was just a type-o). I like the Edelbrock matched top end kits, but it all depends on your goals with the car and of course budget. The real experts will chime in with recommendations soon. I’m not an expert, I just play one on the Internet.... Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! Looks like a very nice car to start your project with. Great family story too. Engine is a 289 just for clarification (perhaps that was just a type-o). I like the Edelbrock matched top end kits, but it all depends on your goals with the car and of course budget. The real experts will chime in with recommendations soon. I’m not an expert, I just play one on the Internet.... Good luck with your project!
Thank you for pointing out the typo, I have looked at those and like them, also looking at the potential of a 347 FI crate. This was an unplanned rebuild, spur of the moment so a budget build is going to be key...My hopes and dreams (347 crate) will be waiting for a bit for sure.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Welcome - looks like a good start. Wherever you set your budget, prepare to spend more...

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,120 Posts
Wow you weren't kidding about being in great condition, I'm envious. Is red the original color? It looks like some white paint chips on the right side edge of the trunk lid? Personally I wouldn't put POR15 on the bottom of a car that clean. Think about a good quality black epoxy primer. Check out SPI epoxy primers. Southern Polyurethane Inc. Automotive Refinishing | United States | Southern Polyurethanes

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,213 Posts
Welcome to VMF. Looks like you have a nice car to start with. Start a build thread & post a lot of pics.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good Evening Everyone,

I am new to FL and new to working on this '66... Kind of. This car has been with my family since it was new and is certified 64,319 miles since new. Old, faded, and dried out it started it journey in PA and has lived all over the US now. 289 Auto Coupe in red with very little rust (just starting on the doors and rear quarters) and an immaculate interior. The car has always been the topic of generational projects but never actually happened. Over the years we have rebuilt the carb and wheel cylinders more times than anyone should ever have to rebuild those items. I have built this car in theory and paper almost every year for the past 20 but never had the time, opportunity or money to do it.

Now comes today. Since moving to FL I have met some new people, became friends and am now in the thralls of a complete rebuild. My buddy is retired from restoring classics and is willing to lend me his shop and help me get this back to better than new. I am hoping that I will be able to find and ask questions here to help guide me through the process that was not planned but is already underway.

We started talking about doing a good quality which has not spiraled out of control and we are planning to strip it down completely and have it blasted on a rotisserie. In the phase after that will POR15 the underbelly, weld in a unibody brace with driveshaft tunnel and replace every bit of suspension with 1.5 inch drop front progressives and 1 inch 4.5 mid eye rear leaf, a Shelby Drop and Koni adjustable. The brakes will be converted to disk all the way around. I am not sure what tire/wheel combo will fit but hoping for 15x6/7 with 215/60 in front and 225/60 in rear.

The car itself will be a candy apple red with fine metallic and candy coat clear. Debating a pearl rally stripe design.

All LED lights and bumpers are sent to MI for straightening and re-chroming.

Trans is needing a rebuild, as it leaks out of every seal it has. Hoping to get some guidance on a good rebuild and also ordered a 1969 valve body to make it a true 3 speed with a ratchet shifter on the tunnel.

Engine is all original and looking to make some good power upgrades while it is out. Any input on cam, head and intake/carb is appreciated. Good compression numbers, but needs to be cleaned up and refreshed. Exhaust is going to be long tube headers, matched with an x-pipe and true duals.

These are all goals but nothing is set in stone. I want to make the car enjoyable and use it to take the family on a cruise to the beach or some shows in the future.

Any opinions or ideas are welcomed. I have thick skin and need to hear any problems anyone sees with my theoretical setup.

I look forward to chatting with everyone and can't wait to start posting and helping others as I laern more about these cars. View attachment 754538 View attachment 754539 View attachment 754540 View attachment 754541 View attachment 754542 View attachment 754543 View attachment 754544
I'm also new to the site. Its great to see members joining daily. Nice car. Good luck. Welcome.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Welcome to VMF. Likes like a fun project for the next year(s). :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts