Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, New here, and to classic Mustangs in general.
My first classic car search and after about a year of looking, I've landed on either a '66 or '69. I really don't know much about cars but willing to learn.
If I'm planning for an EFI setup, what are my options? I know there are EFI options like the Holley Snipers to bolt on to engines and the more drastic Coyote mods. But being new to this, I'd rather stick to simpler drop in options. Since the car will be taken on multi day trips and often on highways and I've been told on the Corvette forums to consider a 4 speed with overdrive, is this the same with Mustangs?
Give me some ideas to consider. thanks

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
You can run Fox Body 5.0 / F-150 5.8 type injection, the Holley Sniper or some other aftermarket stuff.

Ford's non-computerized AOD 4 speed auto is a nice affordable cruiser OD swap, and can be built to take a lot of abuse for a price, and some are willing to convert to a 99-04 4.0L Mustang 5 speed auto with an aftermarket controller for the computer harness for some improved shifting characteristics out of the box.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can run Fox Body 5.0 / F-150 5.8 type injection, the Holley Sniper or some other aftermarket stuff.

Ford's non-computerized AOD 4 speed auto is a nice affordable cruiser OD swap, and can be built to take a lot of abuse for a price, and some are willing to convert to a 99-04 4.0L Mustang 5 speed auto with an aftermarket controller for the computer harness for some improved shifting characteristics out of the box.
Thanks, I'll start to looking at the engine specs for those Fox body years. Just priced the crate Ford engines with AODE and Snipers, does 20-25K sound about right just for those 3?

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Thanks, I'll start to looking at the engine specs for those Fox body years. Just priced the crate Ford engines with AODE and Snipers, does 20-25K sound about right just for those 3?
Are you buying all three?
Or is that for one, in Pesos?

If I was keeping it simple, I would do an AOD, not an AODE. I also would stick with a carburetor for simplicity. You can still make TONS of steerable power with an Autolite 4100, a Summit 500, an Edelbrock or Holley... and a 4100 is known for its near-mechanical-injection efficiency with simplicity.

If you just want fuel injection, the price varies. I forgot to mention you could also drop in a 5.0 out of a GT40P - powered Explorer and have some of the best-flowing iron heads with roller cam tech available from a mass producer.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,200 Posts
Welcome to VMF from southern NJ. I added a T-5 5spd from a 1987 Mustang GT to my 69 Coupe. Where are you located in NJ?.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to VMF from southern NJ. I added a T-5 5spd from a 1987 Mustang GT to my 69 Coupe. Where are you located in NJ?.
Thanks Mike, I'm in Somerset County by I78
My first choice is a 69 convertible with some suspension/steering work done, but seem like there's considerably more 66s modded with modern bits (dare I say restomod). Since the 69s are bigger than the 66s, are the engine bays or whatever it's called larger as well?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you buying all three?
Or is that for one, in Pesos?

If I was keeping it simple, I would do an AOD, not an AODE. I also would stick with a carburetor for simplicity. You can still make TONS of steerable power with an Autolite 4100, a Summit 500, an Edelbrock or Holley... and a 4100 is known for its near-mechanical-injection efficiency with simplicity.

If you just want fuel injection, the price varies. I forgot to mention you could also drop in a 5.0 out of a GT40P - powered Explorer and have some of the best-flowing iron heads with roller cam tech available from a mass producer.
ok, I'm listening
ideally I'd like to go one shot to fuel injection, but with pricing of new parts it's going to get expensive quick. But open to incremental upgrades over a few years, as long as I'm not spending too much on parts I can't use later on. I had no clue on the price of the upgrades, what can I get for $15K LOL....

So let me phrase it differently, if you had 10-15K to upgrade an engine, w/ an auto trans and whatever else I'd need for the change including labor, what options do I have?

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
What I would do with 10-15k is build a stroked small-block that looks bone stock but would give a new Mustang a run for its money and probably a T56-6 six speed manual so I could wind it to 7 grand when I wanted. If I were doing what you are talking about, including labor, find a low mileage, or at least very clean Explorer or Mountaineer GT40P 5.0 Litre engine and go through that, if you plan on using nitrous or turbo later on then use hypereutectic pistons and perhaps zero-gap piston rings. If you want carburetion, use a Weiand Stealth or Edelbrock Air Gap intake with an Autolite 4100 or Summit 500 carburertor for power through 5500 rpm and maybe a 600 for power through 6500 rpm (you'll probably rarely get to 4500 on the street). If you're gonna go old school, and have to have overdrive, a non-computerized well-built AOD. If you're gonna go computerized with fuel injection and total control on shift points, go Holley Sniper and the 99-04 V6 Mustang trans. I guess. I dunno. I just don't want computers in my old cars.

Reactions: qclabrat
1 - 10 of 10 Posts