Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the last week replacing my entire front suspension. I brought one of those master kits from MU. Everything has gone very well. Tomorrow I'll drop it off the jacks and torque the rest of the bolts. I have a couple questions that I could use some help with.

1) My manual did not provide torque specs for the lower control to spindle nut. Anyone have that?
2) The left tie rod end would not tighten to specs because the stud would turn under load. There is no way to hold it so it won't turn while I'm trying to torque it. What should I do?
3) Before I test drive it tomorrow (and get it aligned) is there any other advice or things to look for when test driving?

Thanks... As always this forum is the best!!!

Enjoying a life long love of cars...zoom zoom zoom

G

·
60-90 lbs for ball joint to spindle.

Are you talking about the sleeve to tie rod? If so just tighten the sleeve down on the right tie rod and see how it goes.

Double and triple check all nuts to make sure they are tight, especially the lower control arm to body bolts and nuts.

G

·
Is this the first front end work you have done?
Also, were there any instructions with the parts and if so
were they clear...

Rob

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
And if it's the tie rod stud rotating in the spindle, either the tie rod is incorrect (maybe a '65 Mustang's but I think you would have noticed the difference right away) or (I truely hope not) the spindle tie rod hole has been damaged. If your old tie rods were tight in the spindle even with the nut removed, I'd be inclined to think wrong tie rod. Do you have the old one to compare?

Hope you find the solution,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts