Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! 1968 mustang convt. 289:C4...working like crazy to get her ready for Spring/Summer.

Now... I've Googled countless of forums ALL the forums and seen the mustang steves page to no resolve. I need real measurements AND I cant seem to understand WHY CJ Pony or Mustangs Unlimited or Mustangs Pus hasnt done an exact measurement or side by side comparison of each year with new leafs to see exactly where they sit. Saying 1" lower doesnt help because there isnt even a stock quote of what they were new from the factory. And if there IS a measurement its always ground to lip...well if you change rim/tire then that changes the results. Let's get rid of the guess work people, right?!? RIGHT!

Can't go by what I've got I didnt put them on BUT I think they're some homemade make-shift 5 leafs that are rusty and out of wack. 3/4" higher on right side.

Current Measurement of Rear:
Center of Wheel to lip - Full Tank: Left: 14.5" - Right: 15.25"
Center of Wheel to lip - Empty Tank: Left: 15" - Right: 15.75"

With a 25.7" tall - 245/40R18 Tire - Ground to Lip - Full Tank - Left: 27" - Right 27.75"
With a 25.7" tall - 245/40R18 Tire - Ground to Lip - Empty Tank - Left: 27.5" - Right 28.25"

I'd like to be around 26 - 26.5" ground to lip AKA 13-13.5" center of wheel to lip.

*Dont go by my picture, there's weights in the trunk and a lowering block to get an idea of look*

So what are your recomendations?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Hi Rebel! I also have a 68 vert, 289 C4, factory A/C. hard to find factory specs on ride height. Suffice it to say Ford probably wasn't concerned about guys 40 years in the future modifying their Stang with 40 profile tires on 18" wheels. The easy to measure dimension is ground to fender/wheel opening lip. They did have dimensions buried in the shop manual for setting the car height for wheel alignment.

My 68 vert has 205/75-14 Firestones...very near original size and measuring to the fender/quarter lip is about 1/4" higher in the back. Springs are original.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea...I just dont see why all these big name companies dont use their products and then measure that way we would all know what we're buying and what we'll end up with insead of trial and error.

I have a feeling that stock...it's probably in the ball park of 14.5" HUB TO LIP.

I think I'll end up going with 5 leaf mideyes... thanks for youre response though Slim!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
And if there IS a measurement its always ground to lip...well if you change rim/tire then that changes the results.
I think you've answered your own question. Its more about relativity. You want a 1"-1.5" drop. I would start with a fresh set of 4 or 4.5 leaf mideye springs and make small adjustments from there if needed. As far as the front goes you'll have to do dome cutting to get where you want. Remember that as you cut the ride stiffens up so pick the right rate to start with. (ex 620 if you think you'll cut around 1" maybe a lighter spring if you think you'll cut more)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there anything wrong with having a shop de-arch my current 5 leafs to even them out and lower them both. In other words...my car is 27" L - 27.75" R ...So bring them both down to 26" ?

I like the 5 leafs..thats what's on there now and doesnt seem too stiff for me.

·
Registered
962 Posts
These cars are not precision built machines, they probably all vary to some extent. Do what you think and be done with it!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oook Chief.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Is there anything wrong with having a shop de-arch my current 5 leafs to even them out and lower them both. In other words...my car is 27" L - 27.75" R ...So bring them both down to 26" ?

I like the 5 leafs..thats what's on there now and doesnt seem too stiff for me.
It is all a crapshoot. Buy two sets of the "same" spring and they are liable to be different heights.

Go a little too high and go with lowering blocks. However, do not go over 1" on the blocks because otherwise it puts too much leverage on the springs and can lead to wheel hop.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is all a crapshoot. Buy two sets of the "same" spring and they are liable to be different heights.

Go a little too high and go with lowering blocks. However, do not go over 1" on the blocks because otherwise it puts too much leverage on the springs and can lead to wheel hop.

That's kind of a bummer...I mean I get it but my springs are already uneven and too high...I figure if i got new springs they would at least be even...even if they werent the right height. I was told de-arching them could even them out and bring them both down to my desired height...but if its going to lower my spring rate or make them weaker...I feel like I'd be rigging it as a temporary fix...and thats not me...so....im stuck

I just dont get how my 5 leafs...the highest one is 15.5" center of wheel to lip... but then people have mid eyes that put them 12" ride height....thats 3.5" drop...not 1"...

Sigh..

Ah well

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally Manned Up and bought the cjpony 5 leaf mid eye kits...then found out they're on backorder! LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts