Vintage Mustang Forums banner

New guy with two Mustangs and a question.

844 Views 14 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  gptorch
Hello everyone here are pictures of my two cars, a 1968 289 2V Automatic and a 1970 Mach 1 351 4V Cleveland 4 speed. I bought the 1968 in high school in 1979 from my uncle for 2k. I talked my parents into buying 1970 brand new after watching Parnelli Jones at Laguna Seca in the Trans Am Series. I still have that deluxe trailer and the deer rack also (Hodaka is gone).

My question relates to a braking issue with the 68. The 1968 is a 289 automatic with power front disc brakes. It has a leaky proportional valve. What is the best replacement for this valve, I can't seem to find the original part. Can you rebuild the original? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I love reading the forum!

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
6,441 Posts
IIRC West Coast Cougars has parts.

· Registered
1970 Sportroof Mustang Grabber Value Package
1,898 Posts
Welcome, nice pics, that's how you make an intro folks!🎯

Reactions: tsolle

· Premium Member
438 Posts
A very belated welcome to the Forum! The pics were very nice. Youtube has some proportioning valve rebuild videos and I recall that WCCC has a very good one as well. I opted to go the route of the '68 style valve incorporated at the brake distribution block along the driver's side bay wall. That keeps the valve right up front instead of needing to fiddle around under the rear end of the car.
Good luck and if you rebuild, they are supposed to be good as new. As stated above, either type is available at NPD.

Reactions: tsolle

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks a lot I put an order in!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks a lot I put an order in!

· Agitator
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
7,359 Posts
Nice cars. If you still had the Hodaka I would geek out. I lusted over them in my youth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.