Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, new guy here. Just bought a '67 Coupe.

I'm looking to make the car a nice driver with some modern conveniences. I have a couple questions:

1) The car has 4 wheel non-power drum brakes. This makes driving it a little...different. Is there a recommended kit to go with, or a particular donor car that I can get the equipment for a "mostly" bolt-in arrangement? I'm not overly concerned with keeping the car original am a more "bang for the buck" guy...

2) The steering on the car has a leak. Is there a recommended power-steering setup that will make aiming the nose of the car a little more accurate? While I could just fix the 43 year old system that is on there, I'm guessing that there is probably something better...

3) Before I register the car, I was wondering about using vintage plates. Is it a pain? Pros/cons?

4) Heat/AC - is the factory stuff worth using/integrating, or should I just look to something from vintage air and yank all the factory stuff?

There is lots more to do, but I'm trying to get some safety issues out of the way so I can be comfortable in driving it.

Thanks in advance...

Richard

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Welcome to the family, nice ride. I also have a '67 coupe with manual drums and manual steering. Is yours a small block or big block car? Mine was a factory S Code 390 big block car. Did not have the big block in it when I bought it, but I'm sure it has to be a bear to stop with the manual drums. Will eventually be converting to disks when I get to that point.

Let me know what kit you end up with and how it stops.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Its a small block 289. It runs nice (if not quick) and could stand an overdrive transmission since its wound up pretty high at 60mph on the highway. I'm thinking eventually a T-5 manual trans, but safety first! :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mine is also a four drum brake car and I will be updating really soon with a disk kit. I have classic plates on my car and no inspection. It is kind of cool being able to skip all that stuff every year. Oh and the tags are good for 5 years.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is also a four drum brake car and I will be updating really soon with a disk kit. I have classic plates on my car and no inspection. It is kind of cool being able to skip all that stuff every year. Oh and the tags are good for 5 years.
Please elaborate on what I need to do to join the club. I haven't transferred the title quite yet (went today, but the link was LOOOONG) .. but would love to get some classic plates and follow in your footsteps. Please? lol! Heck, I'd love to scrape that inspection sticker off the window..lol!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Richard,
Welcome aboard. Beautiful '67.
I will attempt a generic response to your questions:
1. SSBC complete kit / first, look at the fabricated things at mustangsteve.com
Until you convert, look to keeping your original brake system in top shape (new hoses, proper adjustment, no glazing, clean fluid, strong line pressure=1000 psi)
2. I don't know of anything better than the original with new parts (Dallas Mustang). Make sure all slack is taken out of the steering box.
3. 2 choices--Classic Plates are for vehicles over 25 yrs old. Requires inspection. Antique plates--that actually read 1967, are for rarely driven vehicles. THose run around $125 a set from Roy Carroll (972-495-2858) Typically any changes you make down the line to type of plate requires registering/titling the vehicle FIRST. Simply throw away the TX plates that they give you after you get whatever cool replacements that you want.
4. Hang under or indash a/c??? Hang under is simple and can be updated cheaply. Indash is a first-class witch! I ebay'd my factory indash stuff (refurbishers love that stuff) and went Vintage Air indash (a bargain in my opinion compared to replacing the indash 67/68 stuff)

Hope that helps. You will probably see a few people post different opinions (sometimes strongly!). Glad you asked the questions.

Paul

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oddly enough I did place an order with mustangsteve on Fri - I'm going with the cobra 4-wheel disk upgrade. Just need to gather the rest of the install and go at it.

Thanks for the advice thus far! I'm gonna have some fun with this car. :)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Welcome Richard. I also saw you posted on Lonestarstangs. Friend of mine will be selling the front disk setup from his 68 fastback soon. Where are you in Texas?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome Richard. I also saw you posted on Lonestarstangs. Friend of mine will be selling the front disk setup from his 68 fastback soon. Where are you in Texas?
Yeah, I read somewhere on here that Lonestarstangs has a fairly active section for the San Antonio area. Figured, "why not"...lol!

I'm in San Antonio - guess I need to update my info. :)

What front disk setup is it?

·
Registered
921 Posts
They are '68 disk brakes. He got a coil over setup, so he will be selling brakes, spindles, rotors, calipers, upper control arms have new ball joints, lower control arms are new, poly bushings in the spring saddles- the whole deal!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are '68 disk brakes. He got a coil over setup, so he will be selling brakes, spindles, rotors, calipers, upper control arms have new ball joints, lower control arms are new, poly bushings in the spring saddles- the whole deal!!
ugh! well I guess if I had known before I popped for the mustang steve setup I might have gone for it. At this point I've fallen in love with having the 13" brakes tucked inside some nice 17" wheels. The mounting hardware is already enroute - just have to shop for the caliper/disk setup now...oh and some wheels.

Speaking of, it looks like the wheels currently on the car will be for sale at some point in the near future.

·
Registered
921 Posts
He's going to put 13" Cobra brakes on his too. I would do it, but already have the SSBC 4 piston kit up front.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Sorry I missed giving you a welcome before. You've already selected your brakes. I'm not up on steering and a/c options, but I can shed some light on the Texas vintage plates. You can find a set of vintage plates online or several vendors travel around to all the swap meets. You must bring into the tax office a PAIR of plates in good condition that are stamped 67, the year of manufacture. Antique registration is good through March 2013 (they all expire the same time). You'll get a little metal tag with 03-13 to attach to one of the license plate bolts. One new thing this year tho is that you can no longer use vintage plates on a daily driver registered as a "classic auto" which was unlimited as opposed to "antique auto" which is theoretically restricted to car shows, parades, club events and so on. Not saying the police would hassle you, but don't drive by the same donut shop on your way to work every morning with your "antique" tags.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Before you buy any vintage plates- go to the DPS/MyPlates websites and check the availability. I bought some 68 plates last year and found out afterward that the combo was already in use!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts