Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and mustangs. I have a 67 mustang in pretty much good condition, besides some of the normal rust spots like, rusted out floor pans and rusted out cowls. And the car originally had a straight 6 in it,a few days after i got the car a buddy of mine had a 302 that he had sitting his garage, and i traded him a xbox360 for it. And not to long ago i got a Granada and took the front disc brakes off and the rear axel off to convert the car to a 5 lung and disc brakes. Right now i am about to get the car sand blasted then finish some body work then get it painted. Any advise?

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Welcome aboard! Just don't sandblast the body panels, will warp everything in a real bad way. Media blasting is the way to go on the sheet metal. Are you planning a complete strip down, or just work on small areas at a time?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A complete strip down. And i was debating weather or not to media blast it, sand blast it or soda blast it. So you recommend not sand blasting the body panels, would you recommend soda blasting it or media blasting it?

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
Good to have you here!! You might look for a local Mustang club. Many clubs have good info on local mechanics, stores for discounts, etc.
Stan

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
I personally don't have a lot of experience with soda or media blasting. But if you are going to hire out the paint work, talk to who you are going to use first. As far as soda blasting, there are some steps required to neutralize the soda used before you can prime. Check out Southern Polyurethanes Inc. Website. He has some info on soda blasting.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Welcome to the forums...and well? You seriously traded an XBOX 360 for a 302 engine? That's pretty cools... :burnout:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I personally don't have a lot of experience with soda or media blasting. But if you are going to hire out the paint work, talk to who you are going to use first. As far as soda blasting, there are some steps required to neutralize the soda used before you can prime. Check out Southern Polyurethanes Inc. Website. He has some info on soda blasting.
will do thanks for your help

·
VMF Ambassador
6,655 Posts
Welcome! Glad to see another North Carolinian around, I've got my pony in Apex but I live in Wilmington.

And man, a 302 engine for an Xbox360? That's a pretty sweet trade! (Though personally I couldn't give up my Xbox... :p)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Welcome, you'll find this forum very helpful as you go along with your project.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Welcome, you'll find this forum very helpful as you go along with your project.
I know this is true.. so many posts I have been reading have helped me and my man sort out some issues with our 1967 coupe that we are presently restoring...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts