Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all! I just want to start out by saying that I've got a '69 Sportsroof that's fairly original (bought from the original owner's son), it has 75000 miles on it and I plan on doing a complete ultimate restomod on it.

I'm in the planning phase, and I wanted some of the VMFers opinions on some door mods that I'd like to do. I'm thinking of the following options:

1. Door opening from the top, like a Delorean. I ruled that out, because there's no trim at the top of the door for the hinges.
2. Door opening from the back, like Lincoln suicide doors. That's cool, but it's been done already.
3. (My favorite) Door opening from the bottom! I'm seriously considering welding hinges on the bottom, so the door flips open and you just step right in! I think it might make a great safety feature and be more accessible for handicapped.

Any thoughts? Has anyone tried this before? I'd sure like to learn from others mistakes!

Thanks,

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
dammit give me your car and find something else to eff up

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
You would have to step onto the door interior panel to get into the car, like a ramp...does not seem practical. I'd try another mod if you are looking for something totally different, eg, front tilting hood, mid-engine mount, (saw a Boss 429-engine project car in magazine with engine mounted behind ft seats), etc.

·
Registered
916 Posts
hehe I didn't want to say anything when I first read this, but I must agree with everyone else /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
My God, Shagg, I love that response. I'm confiscating it for my sig! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Also, JoeB, I'd suggest you start with some basics, like mechanical work than to think about such endeavors as 'flip-down' doors.

Just my zwei pfennig.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is a joke, right? You're really a bowtie dude tryen to get us goin, right?
Anyway, forget the flip down doors, go for sliders like on a van.

·
Administrator
19,313 Posts
I'm all for modifications. Extreme door stuff sounds more like butchery. If it doesn't work out then what will you do?
Start a little more laid back. Pull the engine out and put in some huge supercharged engine and a six-speed tranny or something.
You do know most people think a 69 Sportsroof is pretty cool bone-stock. You don't have to do a bunch of major stuff to make it "really cool". Major modifications tend to kill the resale value. You build a wild show car, but then what? Who's going to buy it? Will you keep it forever?
BTW, if you made fold down doors you'd have to do something about the door glass. Door glass doesn't make a good step plate.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Geez, folks, you all make some good points. I guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board with that door idea. I'd still like to do something wild though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts