Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’ve recently acquired my dads 68 fastback that he has been “restoring” for the past 30 years. I’ve tried over the years to help him actually finish the car (or touch it at all in the past 20 years) but he finally gave up and said I can have it. The poor thing has been disassembled and hanging on his homemade rotisserie for the past 20 years and I need to figure out where to begin to at minimum get wheels on it and hopefully drivable. He had all the original parts and rebuilt the engine as soon as he bought it. I’ll try to post pictures of its current sad state. Advice is most welcome. I anticipate this being a multi year project lol.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Creative storage solution. Most of us have had it horizontal taking up a full garage space for 20 years, with the rest of the parts taking up all available space everywhere else.

Also, welcome to VMF. All of your answers are probably here in the search bar. Do some research and figure out what state the project is and start a plan. There are very few wrong answers for order of operation, but there are a few domino projects, like a headliner (eventually). Personally, I would figure out what it will take to get it to paint so I could get it on to assembly. Even if that means just getting rust cut and panels replaced, then everything primed with the engine bay painted. Work towards getting it on 4 wheels and the rest will fall into place. eventually. Just keep at it.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,473 Posts
Welcome. Congratulations on your new addiction. As stated, search for answers and ask away. I’m further along than you, but not much and you’ll likely finish before me because you’re young! Take stock of what you have and then what you lack. Start logically (what does the bottom need since it’s on the rotisserie, etc.), draw up a plan and eat that elephant one bite at a time....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Creative storage solution. Most of us have had it horizontal taking up a full garage space for 20 years, with the rest of the parts taking up all available space everywhere else.

Also, welcome to VMF. All of your answers are probably here in the search bar. Do some research and figure out what state the project is and start a plan. There are very few wrong answers for order of operation, but there are a few domino projects, like a headliner (eventually). Personally, I would figure out what it will take to get it to paint so I could get it on to assembly. Even if that means just getting rust cut and panels replaced, then everything primed with the engine bay painted. Work towards getting it on 4 wheels and the rest will fall into place. eventually. Just keep at it.
My dad did a lot of body work on it already getting rid of rust and painting the engine bay. He had talked about spraying the underside with lizard skin but never did it. Ideally I would like to get the wheels on it at least but idk if it would be better to paint it first or if that doesn’t matter. On to the search bar for some help and information!!

·
Registered
969 Posts
My first project, I had all the metal fixed, then painted and I did all the assembly from the bare shell. My current project is just at the "metal fixed" stage. I am test fitting everything since it had a lot of metal replaced and I am doing a lot of modifications. If I was with a stock shell like yours, I would lizard skin the bottom (did it on the coupe, and I do like it), and start working on getting it on the wheels. Do the Arning drop, and make sure everything is quality before you put it back on. Now is the time to fix or replace things if you can afford it. Sometimes, even if you cant afford it, hold up until you can.

With the engine compartment painted, and all the metal done, with it in primer, I would think getting it rolling wouldn't be too far off.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Congrats on a great car. Looks like your Dad actually got a lot done for you! Get yourself a complete set of the Jim Osborn Assembly Manuals. These books are invaluable in helping figure out where parts and pieces go. I purchased a missing trunk torsion rod for my son's 67 fastback and could not figure out how to install it. Finally looked in the manual and there was a pic of how it is suppose to go. Saves a lot of time and headache. Best of luck. Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on a great car. Looks like your Dad actually got a lot done for you! Get yourself a complete set of the Jim Osborn Assembly Manuals. These books are invaluable in helping figure out where parts and pieces go. I purchased a missing trunk torsion rod for my son's 67 fastback and could not figure out how to install it. Finally looked in the manual and there was a pic of how it is suppose to go. Saves a lot of time and headache. Best of luck. Ron

I did pick up the body manual! I got it off of Amazon and it felt like it took forever to get here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My first project, I had all the metal fixed, then painted and I did all the assembly from the bare shell. My current project is just at the "metal fixed" stage. I am test fitting everything since it had a lot of metal replaced and I am doing a lot of modifications. If I was with a stock shell like yours, I would lizard skin the bottom (did it on the coupe, and I do like it), and start working on getting it on the wheels. Do the Arning drop, and make sure everything is quality before you put it back on. Now is the time to fix or replace things if you can afford it. Sometimes, even if you cant afford it, hold up until you can.

With the engine compartment painted, and all the metal done, with it in primer, I would think getting it rolling wouldn't be too far off.
How did you like using lizard skin on the undercarriage? That was my dads original plan and I was researching doing that since it’s still on the rotisserie. I want to add the sound control to the interior as well but right now my priority is to at least get the wheels on it so I can move it to my garage where I can work on it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
How did you like using lizard skin on the undercarriage? That was my dads original plan and I was researching doing that since it’s still on the rotisserie. I want to add the sound control to the interior as well but right now my priority is to at least get the wheels on it so I can move it to my garage where I can work on it.
I like the lizard skin protection for the under side. I also used some Dynamat or similar type product inside for sound. I recommend if you want to do the lizard skin, do it now. Don't be in such a rush that you have to backtrack. If you don't do it now, you realistically wont do it later. If you plan on having it for many years, it may be a good investment in rust prevention for the long haul. You dont want to decide to do that after you have all the suspension bolted on.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yes, they are a multi-year project when you're doing most of your own work. I was fortunate that I didn't have any rust to contend with. I farmed the exterior paint work out. I am not sure what your target is, but Lizard Skin isn't advisable for any return to stock or close. It doesn't wipe clean and dirt and grime sticks in the texture of the product. It is glorified bed liner. I used PPG DP74 with a little black mix underneath. I don't drive my car in the rain nor do I have to contend with salt. It is also more on the stock side of the spectrum. In looks anyway.
The best plan of attack is to decide how you want to complete the car. Stock, almost stock or restomod. Then you can purchase what you need and plan accordingly. I bought parts for years and it wound up filling a guest room and the bathtub in that room. Boxes stacked everywhere! Including the garage. Despite the car being in great shape many reasonable painters will take a couple years often to complete the paintjob. Many do collision and work on projects like these in the slow times.
There is plenty of information here and many of us have started where you are and can certainly provide solid advice.
This tale is so common. So many don't know what they're biting off when they start a project of this nature. All the best and hopefully you'll be able to complete in short order.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT Coupe Auto
12 Posts
Comment from a driver not a builder -
If you are not enthused about this project someone on this board will likely buy it from you as a '68 fastback is very desirable. You could apply that money to buy a finished Mustang and drive it for the next 20 years instead of hating to look at a %$#& project.
Awright, kill me for saying it......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Comment from a driver not a builder -
If you are not enthused about this project someone on this board will likely buy it from you as a '68 fastback is very desirable. You could apply that money to buy a finished Mustang and drive it for the next 20 years instead of hating to look at a %$#& project.
Awright, kill me for saying it......
I’ve been obsessed over this car for years as not only is it one of the coolest cars out there but it’s been part of my childhood forever. I’m devoted to finishing it even if it takes me years and tons of money which I know it will. I’m just trying to decide where to start to get the ball rolling.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would get the body and panels all blasted.
Then get an epoxy primer on everything.
That should let you confirm there is no rust and give you a solid base to build on.

Do an inventory of parts you currently have.

in general you would shoot for something like
metalwork
paint
assembly

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS on the car and welcome to VMF!
You have a better start in your "sad state" than many will after years of work, so be thankful, set a budget and project timeline for attainable goals, and get started then KEEP GOING.
You can make things look stock with modern materials, so the right color epoxy paint underneath will be a great beginning while being very durable without the expense or finality of a bed liner type product, and its thickness sometimes interferes with attaching hardware, etc. If that gets you closer to hanging brake and fuel lines on it, and closer to hanging suspension on it, then brake hardware and wheels, on it...you get the idea.

·
Registered
68 Hardtop
498 Posts
Welcome to the VMF. Lot of good advice here already. I would start with rust repair and body work then move to reassembly.

·
Registered
298 Posts
W
E
L
C
O
M
E

I type like you store cars Ò¿Ó

Reactions: Celtic Wolf

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Welcome
I did LizardSkin on the inside of the car, one coat sound deadener and one of heat barrier (with a little extra on the firewall and above the exhaust). It goes on super easy. Be sure to soak the sprayer in water (not paint thinner) afterwards!
I kind of fell that putting it (or other undercoating) on the bottom looks like you're hiding something. Just me.

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
707 Posts
Congratulation...looks like you are starting with a pretty solid car. Do what everyone has suggested to get it rolling on a suspension. It will really boost your enthusiasm and motivation...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts