Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI. I just bought a 69 Coupe shell. My goal is to recreate my high school car in looks while making it better with as much improvements as I can.
First question is about the rotissaries (sp?) I have seen mentioned. I think it would be nice if I could get one, especially since I am starting with a pretty much bare car. How much do these run, where do you get them, and is it something that I could handle by myself as far as getting the car on it and turning it over, etc?
Second question is on Granada brakes, both front and rear. It seems that all of the how to articles I have seen are on the 65-66 models. Will these work on a 69? Included in this would be the Versailles/Granada rear end swap.
Third is kick panels. Although I am far from the point of needing them, I have not seen any offered for sale in any of the ads or online sites I have found. Are these available new or do I need to find a pair of originals?
Fourth, are any Ranchero/Torino parts usable on this car? I have a 68 Ranchero that I plan on removing the engine and tranny from for use in the Mustang, is there anything else I could use: for example it has disk brakes,, any chance they would work?
Thanks and I look forward to getting to know you all.
Russ

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Hello and Welcome. I can only answer one of your questions, yes, the kick panels are available. Another VMF'er, Whizco makes them with and without speaker pods as well. Good luck with the rest of your questions.

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Rotisseries: most people fabricate their own, and no one sells the basic rotisseries. Someone does make a fancy-shmancy one that has a frame, and curved sliders, but it is quite expensive.

There are plans for rotisseries all over the net. Use the Search feature here, for the last 6 months, and see what pops up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi Russ and welcome. 69 are great cars, any way.
1. Rotissaries are usually home made and easy to do. Start with the heavy duty engine stands and modify them to fit.
2. Granada brakes work fine on the front. Use the spindles, dust sheilds, calipers, rotors, brake lines and tie rod ends. ( some parts should be new) On mine the hard line just needed the U cut out and reflaired, then the Granada flex line fit the bracket that bolts to the frame.
3. swap meet or the ones mentioned.
4. Dont know about the braakes, but if it is a small block it will fit easy if yours had a small block (you said coupe right? but not what engine it had.) Any how good luck and have fun with it.
Troy

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.
BTW, nice car!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I can't weld so I guess I am out of luck on this one.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I kind of thought that the Granada stuff would work but I hate to assume stuff.
The car is a V8 car, according to the VIN it came with a 302 and C4 which is what I have in the Ranchero so it should be an easy operation.

G

·
0 Posts
I have a question for you, if it's not too personal. How much did you have to give for your shell? I'm interested in doing the same thing, however, I might be interested in just a little more car than what you're starting out with!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I paid $1000 for it at a place called "Arizona Mustang Mart" here in Phoenix, AZ. Then it is going to cost between $100 and $200 to get it towed home.
It is a rolling chassis, has all the suspension stuff on it.
It has no doors, fenders, hood, interior, engine, or tranny.
Has no rust that I could find, although I didn't go over it as closely as I should have, but the floors are solid. No major accident damage, just a couple of minor areas that need work. The place is going to throw in 2 fenders and a hood, but the guy said that they will be stuff that they haven't been able to sell. It does have the steering column and a wheel and the gauges and most of the dash and they are giving me a drivers seat so I can sit in it in my garage and go "Vroom-Vroom". Yes, I actually told him I wanted to be able to do that :)

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
since most of your questions were answered ill say welcome and enjoy.
Thanks! But this place is already causing me problems. It is way past my bedtime and I don't want to stop! :)
Course once I actually get the car home I probably will be sleeping in it so I may drop out of here for a while :)

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, but for $500 and it being in Texas I think I will just stick to the old fashioned way of working on the bottom of the car. On a cold cement slab and a drop light :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts