Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Ford Mustang Coupe
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm just getting into this. Been looking at old mustangs for a while and finally pulled the trigger. Drove it from where I bought it (about 30 min drive). Got it to my driveway then couldn't get it to start again. Noticed a cap missing, must have popped off on the ride home.

From research it looks like its the oil filler cap and the hose that goes in is the crankcase vent hose.

Anyone that could confirm that and point me in the right direction for parts and repair I would greatly appreciate!

Thanks!

David

·
Registered
1973 Ford Mustang Grande 351C
65 Posts
I remember some older fords had a 1/4 turn screw-in oil cap type with a center grommet that the PVC valve fit into. I believe it was on a 360 Ford truck. Looked like thi:

84CD669F-B556-4B99-AD77-FE65EBAA676C.jpeg

·
Registered
65 Posts
But without the elbow; PVC valve went where the elbow is (I realize this is the filtered air inlet for the crankcase ventilation; I just couldn’t locate the part I remembered).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Found the item:
745364DB-2F38-4A04-B61C-0E1D8E23B420.jpeg

It’s available from lots of folks, plus there was a thread here called “No pcv valve??” where the lack of a PCs valve in covered in detail. :cool:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
You should not drive without a cap. Dirt can get into your engine. If you lost the cap and the hose going to the carb you will have a vacuum leak. Check the base plate under the carb and the carb if you find an open port for the PCV valve. With a vacuum leak your engine will run rough or not at all, depending on the tuning.

It also seems like you have a coolant leaks. I would also replace the rubber fuel line and the transparent fuel filter with a metal line from the fuel pump to the carb and install a filter with a metal housing.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,398 Posts
The missing cap has nothing to do with your no start. When you say "no start" do you mean it cranks but won't start? Or it does nothing when you hit the key?

Reactions: david_c

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Hmmm , a FE engine and no Monte Carlo bar or export brace? Add them to your list

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hello,

I'm just getting into this. Been looking at old mustangs for a while and finally pulled the trigger. Drove it from where I bought it (about 30 min drive). Got it to my driveway then couldn't get it to start again. Noticed a cap missing, must have popped off on the ride home.

From research it looks like its the oil filler cap and the hose that goes in is the crankcase vent hose.

Anyone that could confirm that and point me in the right direction for parts and repair I would greatly appreciate!

Thanks!

David View attachment 797609
That's where the PCV valve should be. It evacuates blow-by gasses from the crank case. It is not the readon it won't start, as it's just a simple emissions part.
Could be any number of reasons why there is a no start issue. B4 U start throwing parts into it, it'd be best to have a reputable automotive shop check it out. They should have the know how and the tools required to find the problem (s).
You'd probably go broke trying to buy all the tools required to help U find the problem and the parts that could be the problem.
Fixing and solving your own problems will come to you, but for now, leave it to the professionals to get U up 'n running!
Maybe U have a friend that could help? 🙂

·
Registered
1968 Ford Mustang Coupe
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's where the PCV valve should be. It evacuates blow-by gasses from the crank case. It is not the readon it won't start, as it's just a simple emissions part.
Could be any number of reasons why there is a no start issue. B4 U start throwing parts into it, it'd be best to have a reputable automotive shop check it out. They should have the know how and the tools required to find the problem (s).
You'd probably go broke trying to buy all the tools required to help U find the problem and the parts that could be the problem.
Fixing and solving your own problems will come to you, but for now, leave it to the professionals to get U up 'n running!
Maybe U have a friend that could help? 🙂
Good advice, I think that's the game plan. Find a guy who knows what he's doing that can get me up and running and go from there. Thanks!

·
Registered
1968 Ford Mustang Coupe
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the responses! It did start for a few seconds tonight and then died. I'm going to look for a shop that can take it and get it up and running reliably and then go from there.

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
707 Posts
Welcome, and congratulations on your great purchase!
The best advise everyone has given is to get a qualified mechanic to look the car over, and not just for the "no start" issue. Just in this one photo there are a few things that jump out (like the missing export brace), that may indicate the previous owner took other short cuts on this car, some of which could be safety issues. Send lots of photos and people on this forum can give you a heads-up on items to ask the mechanic about. Unfortunately, some mechanics may not even pick up on something like a missing export brace.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Reactions: rdnck1
1 - 20 of 43 Posts