Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, this is my first post here. for some reason i had registered here a long time ago but never posted?
i am usually over at stangnet (which is down)

anyways, i have a 67 coupe that i am in the process of not doing much to at the moment.

ok here is the question.

last night i pulled the battery out of my mustang and put it in my truck (truck battery died). then tonight i figured i would jump the truck battery which is in my stang. well when i hooked up the jumpers the motor in my stang started to crank over. very slowly. i figured i was being a crack head as usual and had left the keys in the start position. wich isnt possible...
but then i realized i still had the keys in my pocket.

the cables were extremely hot. i removed them and havent had the chance to go poke around yet because its dark out. so does anyone have any advice as to what could be causing this?

thanks,

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
donation??

i am not sure if it is the solonoid. i started it the day before i pulled the batter and it ran and shut off fine. i guess its worth a try.
i am guessing a light rap with the bfh would make it unstuck?

its wierd because the only thing i did to the car was pull the battery and replace it.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Sharkmouth's "donation" signature is just a reminder that one person (Bob) has been financing this board through its iterations...and of late, as traffic, bandwidth, and cost have increased, has started accepting donations and advertiser content to help offset costs. There is no required donation or anything.

As far as Sharkmouth's second sig line regarding the Cobra Jet Police...I'm scared to even mention them for fear of repurcussions, they're everywhere and they're watching.

Welcome to VMF!

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
It could very well be the solenoid. It may have chosen this time to fail.

The nature of failures are that they happen. Murphy likes to make sure that they happen when we least expect them and if there are multiple failures that they happen in the worst possible order.

Solenoids are cheap. Replace it instead of hitting it.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Old battery is sulfated (death for a battery). Also it seems the solenoid in your Stang is shorted. Since one of the batteries was okay and the other was sulfated (internally shorted) the dead battery acted as a partial short to your battery cables. The result is they heated up. In the future, if the cables heat, disconnect them immediately and replace the battery (or take the dead battery to someone with a battery hydrometer orload tester, e.g. Wal-Mart, Autozone, etc.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts