Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone!
This is my first post and question here.
I reside in SC, and I've acquired a 67 Mustang Coupe (about 2 weeks ago)
I think I got quite the deal! With purchase it came with a 302 and a 289.
My first question: Which motor would you go with?

I'm looking forward to reading over all of the tips and tricks provided with this forum.

Thanks in advance!
Christy

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I assume that was a typo and it should be 289 and not 298?

Is the 289 original to the car? In running condition or needing a rebuild? Obviously, there are a lot of other factors involved but my personal preference would be the 289 assuming it's original to the car and running/rebuildable.

Throw us some pics too!!

John

·
Dimples
7,610 Posts
Howdy and welcome!

There’s really very little difference between the two. I would base that decision on the condition of each engine (what do they need in parts/labor/machining?) and consider how important originality is to you. What is the 5th digit in the VIN?

·
Registered
'67 Coupe, 289 TrickFlow Twisted Wedge 11R, Bilstein's
127 Posts
I agree, original engine.....more era correct. It it numbers matching car. Not that it matters much but I like to stay era correct with upgrades.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Hi Everyone!
This is my first post and question here.
I reside in SC, and I've acquired a 67 Mustang Coupe (about 2 weeks ago)
I think I got quite the deal! With purchase it came with a 302 and a 298.
My first question: Which motor would you go with?

I'm looking forward to reading over all of the tips and tricks provided with this forum.

Thanks in advance!
Christy
Christy,

Welcome to VMF and congrats on your mustang purchase.

There is very little difference between a 289 & a 302 performance wise; bore is the same, stroke is 2.87” vs 3.0”. Top ends are for the most part interchangeable.
My initial thought would be the prior owner would have swapped a 302 for a tired 289.
And if so, and your budget allows, I would plan to rebuild the 289 and pull the 302 when convenent. But ask the prior owner the reason the engines were swapped first and the condition of each.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I assume that was a typo and it should be 289 and not 298?

Is the 289 original to the car? In running condition or needing a rebuild? Obviously, there are a lot of other factors involved but my personal preference would be the 289 assuming it's original to the car and running/rebuildable.

Throw us some pics too!!

John
Sorry for the typo!! I will post up some photos soon, it's just a shell. It came with a 302 and 289. The 302 'supposedly' was rebuilt with a nice cam, but will have to open it up. The 289 will have to be rebuilt. Thank you for the feedback! I'm leaning towards the 289 as per the VIN that is what was in the car originally.

·
Premium Member
10,174 Posts
I would rebuild the 289 (if able) and use whichever heads have the smaller combustion chamber and better-flowing ports if there's any difference. That will create more power, all else being equal. The 302 may have already been built and is ready to go, so it may be an easy (easier) plug-and-play while you build then drive the rest of the car and you can build the 289 for the most smiles-per-gallon later. It's all about the fun you have. Aaaaaand the budget!

Reactions: crittykiki

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would rebuild the 289 (if able) and use whichever heads have the smaller combustion chamber and better-flowing ports if there's any difference. That will create more power, all else being equal. The 302 may have already been built and is ready to go, so it may be an easy (easier) plug-and-play while you build then drive the rest of the car and you can build the 289 for the most smiles-per-gallon later. It's all about the fun you have. Aaaaaand the budget!
I'm leaning more and more towards the 289 just because it is original to the car honestly. The 302 being 'mostly' done is still tempting! Decisions...Decisions...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts