Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed new front fenders and a new hood. Ice played around with the alignment and the hood is nicely set, however it seems to have a huge 'bow' or curve (see the photo).

How fo I fix this? Can I keep playing with hinge alignment, or is this going to require bending my hood to make it flatter?

Cheers,

Rui

1966 289 Auto Coupe

·
Registered
163 Posts
The angle of the hinges are pointing up while the hood catch is pulling the front down creating that "bow". You should be able to adjust that mostly out by loosening the forward-most hinge bolt and rotating. Anything left over, you can bring up the height of the fender up slightly with fender washers.

·
Registered
33,834 Posts
What I would do....
1. Remove the hood latch "spike".
2. Cut two 2x4's 36" long and cover with carpet. Screw spacer blocks to the 2x4's and connect them together so they are located over the edges of the hood.
3. Place a piece of plywood over the "assembly" and weigh down until the hood JUST begins to bend.
4. Let sit for a couple days. Add a bit more weight as needed but not too much as you don't want to "kink" it.

Realistically speaking, you might find it necessary to break the skin loose from the inner structure so it can "slide" and then re-tack it.

·
Registered
33,979 Posts
I'm not that patient. A padded 1x2, with the arched portion between two padded blocks underneath, press down a bit at a time (press, release, repeat as needed) until the curve of the hood matches the fender. Done it many times, on different cars, works out fine. Takes an hour or two.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
I'm not that patient. A padded 1x2, with the arched portion between two padded blocks underneath, press down a bit at a time (press, release, repeat as needed) until the curve of the hood matches the fender. Done it many times, on different cars, works out fine. Takes an hour or two.
Exactly what I had to do to my repro hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Return it and buy a better quality hood?.... just saying.....
Unfortunately the car gets shipped ro Australia next Monday, so no time to order a new one.

1966 289 Auto Coupe

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Not to hijack the OP but can this be done with a trunk lid as well. I have too much of a hump. I would post photo but the lid is currently off the car. Just wondering if anyone has run across this before. Thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not to hijack the OP but can this be done with a trunk lid as well. I have too much of a hump. I would post photo but the lid is currently off the car. Just wondering if anyone has run across this before. Thanks.
Feel free to hijack, I assume it would be the same process. I'm going to try it when I get back to Australia and I'll tell you how it goes.

1966 289 Auto Coupe

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
A lot of the time with trunk lids, the weather strip and/or a reproduction quarter is to blame, so trimming or reapplying the weatherstrip with some tweaking of the hinge may help. With the hood, I would look to see if there's any buckle in the inner fender from a prior collision pushing up the point where the rubber bumper is, and if all else is lined up as well as it appears to be, try the compression method above.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts