Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an Edelbrock Performer intake not too long ago. It leaks a little from the drivers front side, right next to the valve cover. Problem is, I realized I used the cork seals that the Fel-Pro gaskets came with, and not the silicone it recommended.

My question is, should I go ahead and take it off and reintall it with the silicone or leave it alone? Is that why it leaks? If I do this, can i re-use the main gaskets even though I applied silicone sealant on those?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
If you want to stop the leak, then yes, pull the manifold. I wouldn't re-use the side gaskets as if they leak then you pull the manifold again for the second time.

Don't use silicone on the side gaskets, only for the end seals. On the side gaskets either use Gaskacinch or Permatex Aviation. Silicone gets eaten by gasoline and swells up like roadkill and squeezes into the intake ports, generaly making a big mess of things.

·
Registered
576 Posts
You have to get new gaskets and fix the leak. I used the cork gaskets with a thin bead of sealant around the waterways and a blob in each corner (on the front and rear sides of the motor). The car won't run to it's ability with an intake leak. Good Luck

·
Registered
189 Posts
I agree with standesign, take it from me. I just installed mine a week ago and did it twice to make sure it was properly sealed. Start all over with a brand new gasket and use hi temperature silicone gasket maker generously around the water ways and on the front and rear sides of the manifold. Also, don't forget to use the proper sequence to tighten it down. Earl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts