Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,387 Posts
It appears to be the same rebuilt Toyota box sold by "ABS"-Discussed here.

·
Vendor
5,288 Posts
GypsyR said:
If it is I wouldn't bother. A buddy of mine did the ABS swap and the box 'wanders' down the road just like the stock Mustang unit.

·
Registered
759 Posts
If you read the whole thread linked the Borgeson employee says it is NOT the Toyota box, but a box from a '95 and newer vehicle (which leaves out the Tri-Five as well). My thought is Camaro, GM truck, etc.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Unless you have an automatic, you will need a new clutch activation system. Cable or Hydralic. Factor that into the cost and it will be the same or more than the Unisteer R & P which the assist is adjustable and no loss of turning radius.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I am told by a knowledgable friend that it is a modified Isuzu Trooper (iirc) box.

·
Registered
396 Posts
At 16:1 ratio, it *sounds like* a nice box. That's a better ratio than the Corona box, and just might have a decent on center feel. Could be a real nice deal for an automatic car, or someone willing to change the clutch mechanism over.
I'm not to thrilled about starting with rebuilt components. Sometimes that "rebuild" is just a flush, new seal, and paint. And I would want to know that all the internal parts are readily available, at the local parts store.
Would be cool to hear about an install and drive report.

Dang, and to think, I gave away my Trooper :shrug:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
66_Runt said:
I'm not to thrilled about starting with rebuilt components. Sometimes that "rebuild" is just a flush, new seal, and paint.

OTOH, the Trooper is a much heavier vehicle, and the box should be under much less stress in the Mustang.

John

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
What bothers me is that the unit appears to have the "Mustang" mounting plate welded to it.
The cast housing on these units are usually cast iron or maleable iron and those materials require strictly adhered to welding practices and if not done to these standards castrophic failure may occur. I hope that a company like Borgeson recognises that criteria and does leave it in the hands of a second or third party manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I sent "Borgeson" an email asking about his product. Here is his response:

Hi,

Thanks for your interest.

The turning radius is not affected in any way, your car will maintain the full stock turning radius running bump stop to bump stop. Ratio is 16:1 with 4 turns lock to lock. The box is much more that "rebuilt", it is completely remanufactured. The box we are offering is completely disassembled, undergoes significant machining work to both the case and sector shaft and is then painted / reassembled with all new seals and bearings.

Thanks, Jeff
-Shannon

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
kechke said:
What bothers me is that the unit appears to have the "Mustang" mounting plate welded to it.
The cast housing on these units are usually cast iron or maleable iron and those materials require strictly adhered to welding practices and if not done to these standards castrophic failure may occur. I hope that a company like Borgeson recognises that criteria and does leave it in the hands of a second or third party manufacturer.

I emailed him again and asked about the bracket. Here is his reply, take if for what it's worth:

The plate that we are welding to the box is a 3/8" mild steel. The original steering gear case and plate are machined for a tight slotted fit and then welded. There is no seperate bracket, the entire box as you recieve it and install it is one piece. We have been making steering conversion for many different vehicles like this for about 7 years now.

Thanks, Jeff
-Shannon

·
Registered
396 Posts
I used to have a V6 Trooper, and beat the living heck out of it off-road and on-road, for over 180,000 miles. As I remember, the box worked pretty darned good, no wander down the road (when things weren't bent, and tires properly inflated).
Might be pretty cool option with a quick steer kit.
If they are changing things like seals, and bearings, I'd want to make sure all those parts (including the ball nut) are readily available. Especially things like the seals. I'd also want to make sure it does not require any special hoses or hose end fittings.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,387 Posts
I had opportunity to look at a couple of 1994-7 Troopers in a junkyard today and they do indeed appear to be the donors for this setup. Evidently they completely cut off the original mounting ears and replace them with the welded on fabricated plate.
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Anybody got one yet?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Shaun said:
GypsyR said:
If it is I wouldn't bother. A buddy of mine did the ABS swap and the box 'wanders' down the road just like the stock Mustang unit.
Define "wanders" please?

·
Vendor
5,288 Posts
CraigMBA said:
Shaun said:
GypsyR said:
Define "wanders" please?
Wanders as in the typical Mustang dead spot at straight ahead. This is on my buddy Applejack's car (who I'm sure you have heard of from corner carvers). He knows a thing or 2 about alignment and car setup so I'm 100% sure the wandering isn't because it has a crappy alignment/setup.

He has yet to add a pump. We were planning on a KRC but haven't gotten to it yet. I can't see any reason for the missing assist to be causing the 'dead' spot though.

I helped with the install and got to drive the end result. To be honest, it is worse than my 16:1 stock box.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Shaun said:
Wanders as in the typical Mustang dead spot at straight ahead. This is on my buddy Applejack's car (who I'm sure you have heard of from corner carvers).
Yep, I know him. He and I have a thread going over there on this topic.

He knows a thing or 2 about alignment and car setup so I'm 100% sure the wandering isn't because it has a crappy alignment/setup.
You keep calling it "wandering" but is what you mean it's excessively boosted or it lacks enough dead spot or both?

He has yet to add a pump. We were planning on a KRC but haven't gotten to it yet. I can't see any reason for the missing assist to be causing the 'dead' spot though.
I can. I don't think the stock Toyo pump put out the volume that a Ford pump did.

I helped with the install and got to drive the end result. To be honest, it is worse than my 16:1 stock box.
Worse how? Harder to steer? Too light? I'm not trying to be a d- here, I'm trying to speed up the curve on my project that hasn't left yet.

I have the smallest orfiace that KRC sells, I think I'll install it before I fire mine up. Also, I've driven the truck this came out of, and I remember it being very light and very unsensitive at the center. I think they did it so you couldn't overdrive it with a load in it.

With the engine off, how much lash do you have in the box?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts