Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to replacing my original 53 year old leaf springs and am very pleased with the outcome. After lots of research, I decided to go with the Scott Drake 4.5 leaf mid eye springs which lowered the rear an 1.5" and has the stance just right. I am running a 15" American Racing Torque Thrust wheel with 4.5" BS, 235x60 BFG tire, wheel openings are factory (not rolled) and have no tire rub. I replaced the front coil springs years ago with lowered 620's but never did the Shelby drop. I am planning a front suspension upgrade and will do the Shelby drop at that time, which will lower the front another 1/2" making the stance perfect. Some before and after pics:

Before:
Side B4 800pix.jpg
Before Height800pix.jpg

After
Side800pix.jpg

After Height800pix.jpg

I was mentally prepared to struggle getting the old leafs out, but all of the bolts turned by hand and were easily removed. Although a New England car all its life, I believe rarely driven in bad weather and garage kept. Still has original body panels including floors.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
You are one of the very few that removed what are thought to be original springs and it not raise up.:geek:

·
Dimples
4,653 Posts
Very nice! It's hard to get the rear right on these cars. You nailed it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are one of the very few that removed what are thought to be original springs and it not raise up.:geek:
The leafs I removed were 5 leaf with ~70k miles on them. Can anyone confirm the J codes left the factory with 5 leafs? Height was 1/2" higher when I first set it on the ground, but dropped after taking for a ride.

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
The leafs I removed were 5 leaf with ~70k miles on them. Can anyone confirm the J codes left the factory with 5 leafs? Height was 1/2" higher when I first set it on the ground, but dropped after taking for a ride.
All 65-73 Mustangs left the factory with 4 leaf rear springs. 5 leaf were a popular aftermarket "upgrade", so that explains why they came out easily.

·
Super Moderator
9,745 Posts
So the new springs sit lower, how’s that possible?

I actually like the stance / rake of the before pic.

·
Registered
65 Mustang GT
122 Posts
So the new springs sit lower, how’s that possible?

I actually like the stance / rake of the before pic.
Aftermarket 5 leaf vs 4 1/2 mid eyes, that's how.
I'm with you, I like the before pic as well but that's just based on the photo. In person it's always a different story plus not my car plus it's still gorgeous.

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
Looks great but can we see a more side profile shot? The backspacing looks like that wheel is sticking yet but hard to tell. Do you get rubbing on hard bounces?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks great but can we see a more side profile shot? The backspacing looks like that wheel is sticking yet but hard to tell. Do you get rubbing on hard bounces?
Tires are tucked in fully and so far I have not experienced any rubbing, but have only driven it ~30 miles. Here are a couple of profile pics before the new leafs were put in:
Profile 1.JPG

Profile 2.JPG

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
What model TT are you running?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
921 Posts
I am running a 15" American Racing Torque Thrust wheel with 4.5" BS, 235x60 BFG tire, wheel openings are factory (not rolled) and have no tire rub.

Before:
View attachment 756893
Looks great. A couple of questions:
Where are you measuring from? Those tires (235/60x15) have a 26.1" diameter so you're not measuring from the ground.
All the 15" American Racing Torque Thrust wheels have a 3.75" BS (-6mm offset). Where did you get ones with 4.5" BS?

Reactions: Caper50

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where are you measuring from? Those tires (235/60x15) have a 26.1" diameter so you're not measuring from the ground.
All the 15" American Racing Torque Thrust wheels have a 3.75" BS (-6mm offset). Where did you get ones with 4.5" BS?
Measuring from the ground:
IMG_0492.jpg IMG_0493.jpg

You are right about the TT D wheels though, I pulled my receipt from Mustangs Plus from my purchase in 1999 and looked up the part number (1455) on their site. They are 15x7 with 3.75 BS as you stated. Long time ago and I mis-remembered...

·
Registered
65 Mustang GT
122 Posts
You've calculated tire diameter of an unmounted tire. Mounted and loaded tires have a totally different diameter.

·
Registered
792 Posts
You've calculated tire diameter of an unmounted tire. Mounted and loaded tires have a totally different diameter.
Really? Why do they give the number? Are there too many variables because of rim width (6.5-8.5) and 35 psi max? How about it tire experts (and David may well be one of them) I'm just asking for a consensus here because I have no knowledge in this area, and that's very interesting.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts