Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
65 Mustang GT
113 Posts
They are giving actual dimensions of a tire as it's sold, they can't do much more than that. You stretch a tire out on a super wide rim it's going to change overall diameter. Both actual width and actual height will change based on what rim and loaded or unloaded. Something to keep in mind when you're using the RPM calculators, enter actual tire diameter not spec of tire unmounted.
Comes up a lot on truck forums too for the guys that buy a 35" tire and complain they got ripped off because it's only 33.5" on the truck.

Go measure your own tires and get back to us.

·
Registered
747 Posts
They are giving actual dimensions of a tire as it's sold, they can't do much more than that. You stretch a tire out on a super wide rim it's going to change overall diameter. Both actual width and actual height will change based on what rim and loaded or unloaded. Something to keep in mind when you're using the RPM calculators, enter actual tire diameter not spec of tire unmounted.
Comes up a lot on truck forums too for the guys that buy a 35" tire and complain they got ripped off because it's only 33.5" on the truck.

Go measure your own tires and get back to us.
OK, that got me off my butt and down to lower garage. The specs on mine give a mounted diameter of 26" but on the front they measure about 24-3/4 and 25-1/8 on the rear. So there is no way to know what to expect before mounting them unless someone else has the same wheels and tires and load on them. No wonder there are so many questions about wheels and tires.

·
Registered
65 Mustang GT
113 Posts
OK, that got me off my butt and down to lower garage. The specs on mine give a mounted diameter of 26" but on the front they measure about 24-3/4 and 25-1/8 on the rear. So there is no way to know what to expect before mounting them unless someone else has the same wheels and tires and load on them. No wonder there are so many questions about wheels and tires.
Yes and most people don't know it. In my experience you lose at least an inch once mounted from unmounted spec. Just out of curiosity where did you get a mounted diameter number from? I've never seen a manufacturer that lists it as mounted diameter, just diameter.

·
Super Moderator
9,583 Posts
Aftermarket 5 leaf vs 4 1/2 mid eyes, that's how.
I'm with you, I like the before pic as well but that's just based on the photo. In person it's always a different story plus not my car plus it's still gorgeous.
Main Point,.....not our car, is correct, lol.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yes and most people don't know it. In my experience you lose at least an inch once mounted from unmounted spec. Just out of curiosity where did you get a mounted diameter number from? I've never seen a manufacturer that lists it as mounted diameter, just diameter.
The only diameter spec was "mounted" They are Dunlaps

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Im a bit confused.

Ive read many threads that state that it is not possible to run a 15x7 TTD with 3.75 BS and a 235/60/15 tire on a 67/68 Mustang.

Yet, that is what Jcode is running. Thats what I want to run, but everyone tells me to go with the 15x6 with 3.66 BS and a narrower tire.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Im a bit confused.

Ive read many threads that state that it is not possible to run a 15x7 TTD with 3.75 BS and a 235/60/15 tire on a 67/68 Mustang.

Yet, that is what Jcode is running. Thats what I want to run, but everyone tells me to go with the 15x6 with 3.66 BS and a narrower tire.
As mentioned before, I have only driven a limited ~30 miles since the swap, hope to take her out this weekend and will see if I get any noticeable rubbing, but so far so good. I have referenced Dodgstang's tire & wheel chart many times before and you are correct that it doesn't appear this combo is listed. If I do get any rubbing, I will likely go with a smaller tire (as much as I hate to do that) since my tires are old and should be replaced for safety. I will post back with results of next drive.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I also have 235/60x15 on 7x15 AmRacing wheels, but w/ 4"BS. I installed Opentracker's 4.5 leaf mid-eyes. Here's the car's ride height.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
2+2s will take a slightly larger rear tire than the coupe. Its the fronts Im wondering about, especially if it is lowered.

CJM, what wheel is that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Car looks great.
I replaced the rear leafs on my 69 Mach1 last year With a set of Eaton springs. I thought it was a bit low in the back and was hoping the new springs would raise it about 1/2“- 1”.
Guess what happened.....the car sits exactly like it did. It does handle a little better.

·
Registered
844 Posts
2+2s will take a slightly larger rear tire than the coupe. Its the fronts Im wondering about, especially if it is lowered.

CJM, what wheel is that?
It's a discontinued wheel, came on the car when I got it. I found it one day surfing the net and wrote it down. I'll search and find that for you over the weekend.

I should add for others that I get a little rub even with rolled fender lips. I think a 4.5 BS would solve that issue. The front has Arnic/Shelby drop and 1/2 coil cut.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts