Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the leafs replaced a month ago (long overdue replacement of originals). The 65 coupe is now sitting nice and level and the handling is MUCH improved.

However, it may be sitting TOO high in the rear. it looks quite level at the rocker panel but did the 65-66 Mustangs sit a bit lower in the rear when new?

Could just be me being used to seeing the thing sag for the last 20 years. ;-)

Any ideas on the correct height of the rear? If I'm a bit high, will it 'settle' since they're new or should I add a 1" lowering kit. I'm after completely stock appearance for a 65 A-code coupe.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
if you got the stock replacement gt springs then it will eventually settle a little. also you are probably used to the worn out sagging look, give it a few months of bumpy roads and it might look more like you want it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Same thing happened to me, what I did was loosen the bolts that hold the spring in and then bounced the rear of the car up and down, that settled it down quite a bit. It still is higher than what it used to be with the original springs I had in there, but I think the car is up to specs now, stance looks good and rides nice. ;)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm... never thought of doing that. Do you mean the nuts on the u-bolts holding the spring to the axle? Or something else?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
If you were going to "bounce the car" you should loosen the front and rear bolts on the spring as well. Not too loose! :)

·
Premium Member
19,215 Posts
Correct height of 65/66 Mustangs.
1. Place car on level ground.
2. Push down on front bumper by at least 1" to settle the suspension.
3. Measurements are made at the center of the front and rear wheel wells, directly over the center of the wheel.
4. Then lift up on the bumper by 1", let settle and repeat measurements.
5. Average both measurements.
6.Repeat process on rear of car.

Model/Min/Normal/Max Tire size
FRONT
6 cyl 25 27/32" 26 13/32"27 13/32 6.95X14
6 cyl w/AC & V8 25 3/4" 26 19/53" 27 19/64" 6.95x14
HiPo 24 7/64" 24 55/64" 27 19/64" 6.95x14

REAR
All except HiPo 24 1/2" 25 17/64" 26 17/64" 6.95x14
HiPo 24 7/64" 2 55/64" 25 55/64" 6.95x14

·
Registered
422 Posts
:eek:Sorry there friends, let me elaborate on my post, when I originlly installed and tightened up my rear leaf springs, I had the car up on jack stands, then when I let the car down off the jacks, the rear stood up way too high. I rode the car around for a bit but the car still rode way too high up in the back, I was thinking maybe the springs I just installed were wrong or something. Then I loosened the front and rear bolts that hold the springs in place and then bounced up and down on the rear of the car, and that allowed the rear to rest where it should be, please note to RETIGHTEN all of the bolts before you drive the car again. I guess this is why they advise that all of the bolts be tightened when the car is on its wheels, like after doing a front end rebuild, to let everything settle where it should be before tightening to specs. Sorry for the confusion. Hope this helps you out. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts