Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing LED turn signals, brake and tail lights and back up lights. Like to never found the little flasher, (pictured). Anyway, my lights work, tail lights work, parking lights work, back up lights work, dash lights work. Now the brake lights and turn signals don't work. Not even a turn indicator on the dash. I had the instrument panel out. I checked every wire when I reinstalled it to see that each was correct. All the fuses checked out ok. I installed 2 LED type flashers and ground each one. I've done something or shorted out something, but I have yet to find it. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
I’ve had supposed LED compatible flashers not work. Especially the cheaper ones. These ones have never failed me. CEC Industries EF33RL Flasher https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JXLHE8S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yzvJDbXBEY246 or two prong CEC Industries EF32 Electronic Turn Signal Flasher Relay, Round, 2 Prongs, 12 Volts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031GYS6W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_uAvJDbWEYEWY4 Beware of ones that look like these. CEC is what I look for. Disclaimer: I haven’t used these on a Mustang.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
In my Shelby with the sequential lights, I had to keep the incandescent bulbs in as there was not enough draw to make them sequence.

Try putting the old bulbs back in that worked previously and see if your brake lights work. Also, remember that LED's can be installed 180 degrees out and they will not work. If possible, try turning them 1/2 way and put them back in the sockets. And as always, check your grounds to the sockets in the taillights. That is the most common problem of incandescent bulbs not working.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Since you got the turn signals working this should be easy to track down now.

So right now, the only thing that doesn't work is the brake lights, right? The brake lights use the same filament in the same bulb on the same wiring as the turn signals so you can eliminate everything after the turn signal switch since that's all working.

The brake light power obviously goes through the switch on the brake pedal, and then it goes through the turn signal switch in the steering column. That's so the blinkers can interrupt the brakes and still blink when you've got the brakes on. Here's a copy of the wiring diagram to follow along: http://averagejoerestoration.com/resources/mustang-wiring-and-vacuum-diagrams/1967-mustang-wiring-and-vacuum-diagrams/67exter1.jpg

So since everything else is working now you need to look at whether the brake switch is working and providing power when you press the pedal. If it is, then your problem is going to be somewhere in the steering column. Maybe a loose wire in the connector, or the hazard switch button's half pressed in, or there's something wrong with the turn signal switch.

If all that's broken now is the brake lights, then that's pretty much the only things different from the turn signal circuit so that's where the problem has to be. Just out of curiosity here, what did you do to get the turn signals working?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It was a stupid mistake. I had the wires switched. At present I have headlights, dim and bright, tail lights, back up lights, parking lights, interior lights and turn signals. When I turn on the emergency flashers only the left front works. Still no brake lights. When I get off work I'm going to pull the plug on the brake light switch at the pedal and see if I get power there, in and out. Automotive electrical problems are very difficult for me. However, I will get it figured out sooner or later.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The brake light switch is not working. I jumped the plug and the brake lights came on. I hooked the plug up to an old switch, compressed it and the brake lights worked. I am 6' 2", 240 with size 3X hands so it is very difficult to get under the dash. However, we have the front seat out for reupholstering so I was able to shove my overgrown self under the dash far enough to see that the brake switch in place is not compressing when the brakes are applied. So at least I've identified that problem. The last on my list is the flashers. Only the left front works. I replaced the flasher. Same result. I am going to figure this out. It is not going to beat me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Checking the schematic, I decided to run down the wires to the emergency flasher switch. They were all there. Examining the switch, it came apart in my hands. I think I may have found the problem. I will post when I can be sure of it.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I’ve had supposed LED compatible flashers not work. Especially the cheaper ones. These ones have never failed me. CEC Industries EF33RL Flasher https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JXLHE8S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yzvJDbXBEY246 or two prong CEC Industries EF32 Electronic Turn Signal Flasher Relay, Round, 2 Prongs, 12 Volts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031GYS6W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_uAvJDbWEYEWY4 Beware of ones that look like these. CEC is what I look for. Disclaimer: I haven’t used these on a Mustang.
I am going to put LEDS when I finish restomod. I didn't realize that LEDS needed a different flasher. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Way to go @rjwin67 ! Never give up and when all else fails, go to VMF ! And yes, @1966Stangman it is worth it to do the conversion.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay. Got the flashers working. It was a bad switch, not the flasher itself. From the picture you can see how just one light would work if the switch was loose. The brake lights need a new switch. As far as I can tell, the replica switches are a problem. They don't compress when the brake pedal is depressed. Got everything working and then the passenger side brake light quit. Found a loose wire. Back in business. I learned from this. Next time I'll check the switches first, then run down the wires. By the way, this is IMPORTANT. If you need to change flasher switch, leave the mount attached to the top of the glove box. Just unscrew the switch nut and slip in the new one from behind. If you unscrew the mount you will hear a slight sliding noise and that will be the backing plate above the glove box falling out of place. That means you have to take the screws out of the glove box and maneuver the box around so you can hold the backing plate in place while you refasten the mount.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts