Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to start on multiple projects on my 69 Fairlane Fastback. never have attempted to replace sheetmetal before I'd like some info on replacing some inner fender panels. Should I use an air chisel to separate the welds?a cut off wheel in a grinder? My plasma cutter ? . someone clue me in before I jump into it blind. Plan on checking my 351 tomorrow to see if it will crank & run then take the front of the van off to get it out. Sure hope it fires & runs as I put a lot of work & money into it when I was useing it for my personal driver.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,065 Posts
Wayne if you are separating the panels via the spot welds, I usually drill out the top layer of metal and finish off with a thin sharp chisel or an air chisel. It all depends on the panels being separated. I have also used a cutoff wheel to grind the top of the spot weld off as well. This method is pretty fast. After spending 2 weeks at my cousins collision shop, I noticed most of the bodymen used one of these to remove spot welds. I gotta say it was fast. I've never had one in my tool box but will be adding one. Remember you are only removing the top layer of metal.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info I suspected as much as it's the front half of the inner fender from the shock tower to the front core with the battery box area . Any idea as to removing a door striker post ? It looks like the 1/4 panel is welded to it with numerous tabs( I know it is ) got the panels ordered & can get a better idea after I have them to look at just looking for any suggestions as I've never attempted to do any sheetmetal on my cars before. But with 2 cars & possibly the 66 ( probably not) got a few panels that need work . Don't even want to try to get them to a fully restored stage only where i can throw some primer on them to drive them as a ugly driver.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Wayne if you are separating the panels via the spot welds, I usually drill out the top layer of metal and finish off with a thin sharp chisel or an air chisel. It all depends on the panels being separated. I have also used a cutoff wheel to grind the top of the spot weld off as well. This method is pretty fast. After spending 2 weeks at my cousins collision shop, I noticed most of the bodymen used one of these to remove spot welds. I gotta say it was fast. I've never had one in my tool box but will be adding one. Remember you are only removing the top layer of metal.

View attachment 765813
What is that tool called!?

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Mini belt sander? They can be had in electric or pneumatic.

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
I think the beauty with one of these is that you shouldn't have to use the air chisel to break the section loose. Often the spot weld cutter doesn't hit the spot weld dead center or starts to wanter as it becomes dull, hence the need for a buster bar or air chisel. With this tool you can grind the spot weld out with surgical skill, IMO.

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Mini belt sander? They can be had in electric or pneumatic.

Only ones I have ever seen have been air operated.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any one know if a set of shortie headers off a 302 will fit on my 351w heads? I seem to remember they fit but it's been a while since I fooled with the windsor small blocks. I feel pretty sure the long tube headers on the van ar'nt going to work on the 69 . If the shorties fit but won't work in the 69 I can use the 302 manifolds until I can afford a set of headers I guess. Who knows something might turn up.
I'll bite. What does BUBA stand for? Big Ugly Black Automobile or something similar?
Works for me I always thought it was just what everyone else who not from the south called a redneck phrase . After all if you grew up here & had a brother at some time they are always a buba. Figured the vert needed a big buba

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any one know if a set of shortie headers off a 302 will fit on my 351w heads? I seem to remember they fit but it's been a while since I fooled with the windsor small blocks. I feel pretty sure the long tube headers on the van ar'nt going to work on the 69 . If the shorties fit but won't work in the 69 I can use the 302 manifolds until I can afford a set of headers I guess. Who knows something might turn up.
Works for me I always thought it was just what everyone else who not from the south called a redneck phrase . After all if you grew up here & had a brother at some time they are always a buba. Figured the vert needed a big buba
Had to post a picture of the doner for the heart transplant in the fastback

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,273 Posts
Yes, the headers will bolt to the 351w

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Check out this guys Youtube channel...Blue Collar Kyle. At approx. the 1 minute mark you will see how easy and fast it is to grind the top off each spot weld with this tool. In my opinion it's the least destructive of all spot welder removal tools.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts