Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Got a mini sander today from northern tools. It's a Klutch If it's as good as the Klutch dual voltage welder should be great. Got the windshield ordered along with a few other parts for the fairlane. The stainless for the windshield came in today. Got to replace the windshield as a large rotten tree fell on the car ,luckey several limbs kept the tree from crushing the car so it suffered only a windshield & 1 piece of stainless ( I hope ). It appeared as if the hood was open and and slowed the fall some but still was bent at the mount points, rusted out pretty bad there so it don't matter. Have straightened it back out & fabbed some 16 gauge pieces for the back side in an attempt to reuse the hood. If they don't work I'll just use some pins on it Could have been worse as the tree was about 16" in diameter & still pretty solid about 4/5" in the center.

You guys sold me...buying a mini belt sander right now...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Got a mini sander today from northern tools. It's a Klutch If it's as good as the Klutch dual voltage welder should be great. Got the windshield ordered along with a few other parts for the fairlane. The stainless for the windshield came in today. Got to replace the windshield as a large rotten tree fell on the car ,luckey several limbs kept the tree from crushing the car so it suffered only a windshield & 1 piece of stainless ( I hope ). It appeared as if the hood was open and and slowed the fall some but still was bent at the mount points, rusted out pretty bad there so it don't matter. Have straightened it back out & fabbed some 16 gauge pieces for the back side in an attempt to reuse the hood. If they don't work I'll just use some pins on it Could have been worse as the tree was about 16" in diameter & still pretty solid about 4/5" in the center. View attachment 766068
Looking for a lot of used interior pieces as I'm not going to pay what I see online. The money pit sucked up a lot of money & I don't care if Buba looks all that great in or out. I' ll posr some pictures & if you got anything you want to sell that will work for me ( don't care what color) contact me at [email protected]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,273 Posts
If the door cards upholstery is still decent you can peel it off the deteriorated fiberboard and put it on new board or some use aluminum.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
As I said in the earlier post any interior parts. Carpet ,front door panels ( probably can reuse the rear panels have'nt inspected them that much yet but if you got them?)
Seats are kind of a non issue as that money can go else where ,not a big fan of the bench seat but it looks decent enough & I can use it for as long as I care to besides pullapart buckets are cheap & my choice is not as restricted as the 67 vert was. Thanks in advance for any & all response with advise & / or help with parts. Like I said if you have any parts contact me as the 69 Ranchero can use some of the same interior parts not really concerned about year or car specific only that I can put it in
If the door cards upholstery is still decent you can peel it off the deteriorated fiberboard and put it on new board or some use aluminum.
Have'nt checked it yet but have been thinking about luan held on with stainless screws & dress washers we use to help hold stainless sheets on the. Kitchen walls in the restraints when I help my buddy. Probably try what you suggested on the luan it don't have to be that pretty. If it works on the 1st door I'll make them in sets for the ranchero also. Or I might get some stainless from my buddy & make the door panels out of it who knows old Rusty & Buba ain't ever gona be the pretty boys at the dance

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Plan on robbing the alt to use on the vert until I can get it converted over to a 1 wire. Have'nt been able to do anything to check out the van eng due to work getting in the way. Got a game plan together. Picked up 3 new old school glass packs at the estate sale when I bought the 4 v Autolite carb ( same as the carb no use for but almost free). My nephew who is a avid picker has a friend who owns a scrap yard picked up a nice set of headman shorties he gave me . The guy who owns the scrap yard has a ford eng in his shop that is dressed out with shelby parts don't know if it's the real deal or just dressed up but my nephew says he can pick it up almost free which translates almost free to me. Might be real as the guys dad who died was always taking stuff home & putting it in his butler building. Parts ordered on line have started to be delivered maybe the windshield next week & the son in law & myself can get it in to keep it dry inside. ( don't know how long Buba sat in the junk yard with the broken windshield with a hole through it but the insides are in fair shape maybe the tree kept most of the water out who knows) son in law was told by his in at the junkyard that the Fairlane was driven into the yard & parked so I'm probably going to leave the trans in when I do the eng swap.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for the info I suspected as much as it's the front half of the inner fender from the shock tower to the front core with the battery box area . Any idea as to removing a door striker post ? It looks like the 1/4 panel is welded to it with numerous tabs( I know it is ) got the panels ordered & can get a better idea after I have them to look at just looking for any suggestions as I've never attempted to do any sheetmetal on my cars before. But with 2 cars & possibly the 66 ( probably not) got a few panels that need work . Don't even want to try to get them to a fully restored stage only where i can throw some primer on them to drive them as a ugly driver.
Have another question about panel replacement. When replacing smaller panels what do you think is easier /better. use butt weld clamps or flange the
Plan on robbing the alt to use on the vert until I can get it converted over to a 1 wire. Have'nt been able to do anything to check out the van eng due to work getting in the way. Got a game plan together. Picked up 3 new old school glass packs at the estate sale when I bought the 4 v Autolite carb ( same as the carb no use for but almost free). My nephew who is a avid picker has a friend who owns a scrap yard picked up a nice set of headman shorties he gave me . The guy who owns the scrap yard has a ford eng in his shop that is dressed out with shelby parts don't know if it's the real deal or just dressed up but my nephew says he can pick it up almost free which translates almost free to me. Might be real as the guys dad who died was always taking stuff home & putting it in his butler building. Parts ordered on line have started to be delivered maybe the windshield next week & the son in law & myself can get it in to keep it dry inside. ( don't know how long Buba sat in the junk yard with the broken windshield with a hole through it but the insides are in fair shape maybe the tree kept most of the water out who knows) son in law was told by his in at the junkyard that the Fairlane was driven into the yard & parked so I'm probably going to leave the trans in when I do the eng swap.
the new windshield came in today ,the stainless for the windshield yesterday along with some replacement panels& exterior trim pieces. Hope to get a slab poured for my air compressor because I'm ready to have at it. to
piece& weld the new panel onto it? Keep in mind my welding is'nt all that great even on something with some meat to it,but getting better, but the son in law is a iron& steel worker who just happens to be a certified welder just loves to help & hey I'm only too glad to let him. Can't wait to try that mini grinder out.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Final
Had to post a picture of the doner for the heart transplant in the fastback
View attachment 765821
Finally worked on the van some today got the dog house out. Pulled the plugs & dumped some marvel mystery oil in all the cylinders.
Probably leave it set for a few days put in a battery & see if it spins over as it's been sitting for a long time. .
All the accell Plugs looked good . Had a few I guess the valves were open & they were a little cruddy. To my surprise the Holley was not seized up only a little stiff after spraying the throttle linkage with wD 40 free as ever , but i know it has to be bad inside. Hopeing ro crank & drive it next door to the property where the Fairlane & Ranchero r at to get the drive train out. Going to post a picture of the eng & you might can tell it has not seen the light of day in a long time. I was just as surprised by the condition of the headers as I was the Holley lots ot surface rust but no holes that I seen . If there is any saving grace it will be due to the eng having an air cleaner with a filter & a dual exhaust system intact to the back. Anyway guess I'll know in a few days if it's worth trying to salvage or not. Starting to wonder am I crazy or just touched in the head a little bit.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Picked up a new battery 2 days ago to use in the van so I could check the 351. Think the fluid in the cylinders is causing a hydro lock as I only got about 1/4 turn on the motor before it stopped dead. Maybe I pull all the plugs tomorrow if it not raining & try again. Hoping for good results after helping my nephew get his van going after a 23 year sleep.

·
Registered
937 Posts
those pneumatic bent sanders are awesome, religiously used them building handrail systems for a willis tower (sears tower) relocation project. they wanted both stainless and aluminum rails and were either brushed or polished finish. those little belt sanders do wonders detailing metal.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
those pneumatic bent sanders are awesome, religiously used them building handrail systems for a willis tower (sears tower) relocation project. they wanted both stainless and aluminum rails and were either brushed or polished finish. those little belt sanders do wonders detailing metal.
That's good to know. But as every day is another exciting, fun filled adventure ,about all I've had time to do with mine is open the box& think that's cool ,drop it on the air hose reel & parts to set up my comp. As I head out to run more service calls.
Picked up a new battery 2 days ago to use in the van so I could check the 351. Think the fluid in the cylinders is causing a hydro lock as I only got about 1/4 turn on the motor before it stopped dead. Maybe I pull all the plugs tomorrow if it not raining & try again. Hoping for good results after helping my nephew get his van going after a 23 year sleep.
Well pulled the plugs & dumped a considerable amount of trans fluid in each cylinder. Found a socket & breaker bar to try to rotate the eng no go even useing my feet on the bar only tightened the crank bolt. As I'm standing by the door bumping the starter it suddenly let go & the trans fluid from the last 2 cylinders drenched me head to feet.
Rinsed the plugs in a cup of gas & reinstalled them after blowing as much fluid out as I could. Dropped a new gas line in a 6 gallon gas can & it fired up.
The 351 starts & runs as good as it did when I last drove it in 98/99. I never would have thought the holley on it would still work as good as it does,cranks & revs great but the idles circuits r gummed up so I'll put that autolite on it.
. Soon as I can get some tires that hold air on the front I'll move it next door & get the front off the van to get it out.
This is 2 fords that set for 20 years or more that have cranked & appear to be fine so I guess they r like fine wine & improve with age when you have one.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Any one have any thoughts on useing the c4 in the Fairlane as opposed to the c6 in the van. I'm learning toward useing the c6 even tho it's set a long time because I never had any issues with it & I put a lot of miles on the van besides it probably would like that little lite weight Fairlane better than that god awful heavy van come to think of it the 351 probably will too. I know I will.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,273 Posts
c6 would be way overkill and suck a lot of hp compared to the c4.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks that's a very good point that I had not thought about. . Do you think it would be worth the money to step up to a better convertor than the stock c4? The 351 has a edlebrock performer intake, a small cam & 69 small chamber heads. It did a good job of dragging that heavy a## van around hopeing it's better in the fairlane..
I'll just put the c6 in the barn who knows maybe Buba will get another new heart on down the road. If the controller & adaptor were not so expensive I'd put a 6R80 in it.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts