Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel pump took a dump this morning. It was one that I got from Speedway that had NPT fittings on both the intake and output sides as I run AN lines.

I am looking at this as a replacement:

Any recommendations for something better? Application is a warm 289 with a 600 cfm carb that spins to 6,000 rpm.

I know it does not take much, but I do need NPT connections and would like reliability. TIA

·
Registered
4,956 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I know it's says for a 65, but I just put one in a 67 and works great, plus you can eliminate the in line fuel filter.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
this is what i have on my car, no fuel issues

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
The fuel pressure is a little high on that one unless you have a regulator. Go with the Edelbrock RPM
I believe this is the one I have had on the car for over a decade now. I have an Eddy 1806 carb and had to still install a regulator to dial it down to 5 psi to make it happy. The pump put out 7+ psi according to my gauge. But it has been a great pump, but that comment probably just jinxed it.

When I first got the car back on the road in 2009 I had a Summit brand pump that put out 9-10 psi. I swapped to the Edelbrock pump thinking it would solve the problem of over pressurizing the carb which it did but it just didn't run as good as it does with the regulator. Maybe it was overthinking things though.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I could not use a stock style as I am running braided lines in an out with AN fittings. I needed threaded connections for both input and output.

At the end of the day I went with:

It looks boarder line if it will need a regulator. Maybe my 35 micron Earls filter will knock the pressure down a bit. We'll see how long this lasts. It is replacing this one:

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Avoid this pump:

That died on me with 1,000 miles (10 months) and I only use pure gasoline, no ethanol.

Holley pump installed. No time to test yet for pressure issues.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I'm with WestSD. I only use the 65 style on all my V-8's because it's the best filter available. Try and find a Carter, if you can. Our parts supply used to check boxes to see if any were Carter's and send them to us.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stock style do not work for my application as they have a feed nipple for a rubber hose. I am running braided lines with AN fittings thus I need a pump with threaded input and output ports.

The Holley pump I purchased is installed and works fine feeding a Holley 600 without a regulator. After thinking about it I figured I might have to adjust the float setting to add buoyancy pressure from the float to offset a small pressure increase from the pump. After checking the float level, very little adjustment was needed.

Now we shall see how long this pump lasts.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One quick followup. I installed the previous fuel pump at the same time I changed heads and went with Comp Camps Pro Magnum roller rockers. I thought all the clatter was from the roller rockers as I had heard they can be noisy. Well after the drive into work this morning, it appears that noise was the fuel pump. Good news indeed. (y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts