Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone my name is Richard and I am well new to the forum and mustangs... Ill start by talking about myself a little and than get into the mustang aka rustang. Im 24, married with 3 kids(7yr old twin girls and 1month old girl) and currently in the Army. Im from the great and flat state of KS but well havent been their for the last 3.5yrs. Ive had an interest in mustangs ever since my big brother got one(83 5.0 ho) when I was in middle school. I have been looking for a 87-93 for a couple months when I stumbled upon a 68 coupe with a 87 5.0(turned carb) swapped in. They had it listed for 2200 but I figured I could talk the guy down. Right away from the pictures I could tell it needed paint and interior work atleast. The guy had bought it from someone that had started fixing the body so it was all primer. The interior was all torn up with no carpet but no biggy because it will be black soon.. After digging into it I found out that it was originally a I6 with manual brakes and steering. So my wife being the wonderful women she is called him since at the moment I was unable to call and she talked him down to 1600. She just picked it up on Sat and when he was trying to drive it on the trailer the steering locked up and would not turn. So after he called some of his buddies and they basically lifted the front end up on the trailer. So after it was all said and done he actually lowered it to 1400. My wife said the only rust she could see was on the pass floor board but ive seen( not done) enough restorations to know that what you see is not always what is their. Oh and on a final note I am not new to forums so I am pretty good at using the search function so dont worry....

·
Registered
193 Posts
I get the great opportunity to welcome you for the first time... WELCOME! And to thank you for your service, THANK YOU!

Congrats on the 68. You may already know thins, but being a conversion, I would recommend looking it over REALLY good when you get a chance, make sure it's a safe I6 to V8 conversion. The I6 drive train components and some body areas are lighter duty.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well I noticed it had 4 lug which is what tipped me off to it being a I6 originaly. I dont know what all was switched (going in blind) since the guy that I bought it from apparently bought it with the engine swap. And unfortunatly I wont be able to check it out till Dec. Just hope it is not a lost cause and a waste of 1400 bucks....

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Welcome aboard, pretty easy going bunch around here. Looking forward to seeing pictures and the plans you have for your project.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Welcome, and congrats too on the Mustang purchase!

As nbears747 said, thank you for serving in the armed forces and keeping us safe. It can't be said enough, and we certainly appreciate everything you are doing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts