Vintage Mustang Forums banner

New member, considering buying '67 fastback s-code

950 Views 10 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Scottie_dont
Hey guys,
Always been a fan of vintage Mustangs, in particular the '67 fastback, but am definitely a novice when it comes to what to look for as far as condition/ fatal flaws on the car. I'm looking at purchasing what appears to be an excellent (but not quite mint) condition '67 s-code. Any advice on key components that may have been cheaply repaired or general issues to look for to confirm that it is indeed in excellent condition. Also, if it does check out as far as quality, what would be a range of a reasonable asking price. I know that's a very broad brush question but any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3,527 Posts
As mentioned - - - RUST - - - if you see paint bubbles etc. you can pretty much guarantee that is only the tip of the iceberg. If you have a knowledgeable friend or have a local Mustang club ask them or a member to come with you to check things out. Best of luck on your search.

John

· Registered
6,441 Posts
Welcome, great people here for advise.
Do you know if it's a GT as well?
How many miles on assuming rebuilt engine? Have orig radiator? Automatic or 4 spd? A factory 4 spd worth little more.
A dash tach came stock with a 4 spd (like my 67), otherwise an option.
Standard interior or deluxe? Color?
Some questions before we can give a guess on value, without pics

· Registered
1,803 Posts
As stated, rust is the big one. When I bought mine, I brought a magnet covered in painter's tape to check the common rust areas, especially the quarters. Leaky cowls is a big one, so make sure to test them. Look for prior metal repairs, like floor pans and make sure they were done well. Any shoddy work should be a red flag. Get underneath it.

67, I think, is when they started stamping the engines with partial VINS. I believe it’s hit or miss with 67s but look to see if the VIN is stamped on a pad at the back of the engine near the bell housing. A matching numbers car will be more valuable.

Posting pics will help the community weigh in on price. Good luck!

· Registered
3,017 Posts
The body is most important, as anything mechanical or electrical can be repaired/replaced/upgraded (and you'll probably do some of that anyway).
1. Magnet of some sort to test all of the exterior (don't be alarmed by the lead at the top of the 'C' post area not registering).
2. Scope camera for your phone to look into the doors, cowl, etc.
3. Pour water into the cowl to make sure it goes down the drain (and to the ground) rather than into the car.
4. Look at the torque boxes, rails, under battery tray and inside trunk for signs of rust, covered up rust, or bad repairs.
5. Check the clutch pedal movement to verify that the clutch pedal mounting is not completely worn out (which you'll want to replace with roller bearings in any event).
6. Take it for a drive if you can. Verify that everything works - brakes, engine runs well, all electrical items, heater & a/c, shifts ok, doesn't overheat and no leaks (let it sit afterwards and look for small drops on the ground). And no strange noises!
Good luck. Oh, and for a good S-code FB, take lots of money.

· Registered
7 Posts
an s-code in the 785 :oops: i thought i'd found them all. - Scott in topeka

Reactions: BillyMagg
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.