Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here. My parents just agreed to let me have their old 66 Mustang convertible, but it has been sitting for about 17 years and has a good bit of rust. I don’t have any car experience, but I know people who have offered to help with the labor. I know it will be a lengthy process to get it running and looking nice, but is there ever a point where a car is un- restorable?

· Registered
1,803 Posts
That doesn’t look bad at all. From those pics, it looks like it will be a great project to learn on. Good luck!

· Registered
67 Fastback T5, 331 stroker, TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear, 3.55 gears
2,290 Posts
Welcome and congratulations. The condition of the frame sections, rocker panels and floor pans will determine how much of a project you have ahead of you. You might want to have someone knowledgeable help evaluate those, so that you can set your plans, expectations, and budget accordingly. Good luck!

· Premium Member
10,849 Posts
Welcome to VMF and it looks like the PERFECT place to start working on a hand-me-down horse!!

· Super Moderator
12,045 Posts
Welcome!

Start a Build Thread, I'd like to follow the progress. I'm right outside NOLA

· Agitator
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
7,359 Posts
Welcome. Looks like a good starting point. Get underneath and get a good look at the underside, that will tell the biggest tale of how much body work will be needed.

· Registered
6,243 Posts
Nice.
In the 80's I was stationed on the Coast Guard 82' patrol boat out of Grand Isle, we used to run the intercoastal through Houma on our way to Morgan City.
I see the twin brides were replaced. We almost ran into one of them one trip.

· Registered
372 Posts
Bench seat was great for dating back in the day. That rust in the floors looks pretty superficial. Get the seats, carpet & underlayment out as soon as possible. Take a wire brush to it to determine if there are any holes which go all. If not, clean the loose rust, vacuum out, and coat the floor with Rustoleum rusty metal primer. Brush it on thick. Few will ever see it. Pin holes can be filled with a mig welder if surrounding metal is decent. Spot patching may be an option. Patch panels would be a last resort. Either way get the above out and take action to stop or slow the rust asap. Looks like the old girl has some nice features and options.

I lived in Houma for about a year after Katrina. I had a barber that was so Cajun I only understood every 3rd word. For some reason, he didn't care for Texans, but we got along well. I didn't have the heart to tell him I was one. I rented the brick house next to the historic Henley house. I believe the Guidry's lived there. Doesn't narrow it down much though in that area. Lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.