Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good afternoon,

New member here from Southwest Missouri. I bought a 65 convertible a little over 4 years ago and hope to start doing some work on it soon. I know, why wait 4 years to start? This was literally one of the "Found it in a barn" stories. In this case, it was on a farm in a garage and hadn't been moved for 17 years. The last plates on it when I bought it was 1989. The owner had parked it in the garage when his daughters stopped driving it to school and moved away from home. When I went to look at it, it had flat tires, cob webs up to it and an old cover over it.

I drained all the fluids, flushed everything, put a new battery and tires on it and applied a heaping amount of elbow grease. I changed all the belts, hoses, did a complete tune up and she started right up and idles nice. Other than that, I haven't done much to it. It's pretty much all original except someone put a marginal paint job on it. It still has the working AM radio. It has a 289 C code with automatic transmission and power top.

Anyway, I've been looking around the forum and it seems like a good bunch of people. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions so thanks in advance for your help.

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hello, Welcome, I'm in St. Louis. You scored a great vert there! I've got a 69 Mach 1 that seems to always need another this or that done... lol! If you ever get up this way give a shout. Lots of cruise and show action starting here in the next couple months.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome meadowfern. I can see how these things could nickle and dime you to death. We just spent a week in St. Louis last summer on vacation. Had a great time. Lots to do there.

·
Registered
839 Posts
welcome aboard. The vert looks very sweet. Summer's a comin' !!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
welcome aboard. The vert looks very sweet. Summer's a comin' !!

Thanks Dudley. Supposed to be sunny and in the mid 70s here tomorrow and Thursday. Close enough to summer for me. She'll definitely be coming out of the garage.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Welcome! the vert cleaned up nice! I just picked mine up in Jan., but not quite ready to start on it.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome RC 65.

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
Good to have you with us. Don't worry about asking questions. You'll definitely find someone here with an answer.
Stan

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you're near Springfield, we may see you up & down Glenstone. They have a pretty good Mustang club as well as the ALL FORD show in late summer.:burnout:
Thanks for all the welcomes guys.

fastback65gt, I'm over in Joplin. Looking at some of your guy's cars, makes mine seem a little on the ratty side.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Hey grasshopper, are you & other Mustang locals in Joplin OK???

·
Registered
221 Posts
Welcome to VMF & to classic Mustangs. Got a sweet looking ride there what are your plans for it daily driver or weekend?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hope you are alright Grasshopper!?

·
Registered
26 Posts
How'd the car handle the storms yesterday?? Joplin got hit hard! I am up in Kansas City, I also have a house on Table Rock Lake so i'm down that way quite a bit! Good lookin car, hope all is well on your end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all. Just another Joplin Mustang fanatic.

I as well hope the best for Grasshopper. You guys have no idea what the damage was like unless you've seen it first hand. In 36 years I know I haven't seen anything similar. My uncle a WWII vet was here a couple weeks after the storm and we were talking about how I imagined it similar to what he saw in Europe; his response... Europe wasn't nearly this bad.

So, hopefully he at the most is only inconvenienced with a loss of home and is just currently temporarily offline. I'd also hate to see that nice looking 'vert damaged.

Also curious about the show in Springfield when might that be if it hasn't already passed. I would be very interested in attending (only as a spectator currently).

Carter

1 - 20 of 21 Posts