Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1966 coupe, 302
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just joined the forums as I plan to get my old '66 running this year.

Mom gave me $1000 back in '86 to buy a car to get to college. Was looking for a 280zx but $1000 wasn't enough but I saw a '66 mustang in the paper. Next thing I knew, I bought it for $900 not knowing the difference between an inline 6 and the 289 V8.

Little did I know, owning a 20 year old car that needed tons of work would start me on a journey into the world of cars. After college and finally having a job and the funds, I had a shop swap out the inline 6 for a 302 along with disc brakes as I remembered VW bugs going faster than me on a certain stretch of 101 in Central California that had a 7% grade. Not to mention, drum brakes weren't the best when going down that same stretch of 101 when going back to school. Many $ went into parts and the UPS delivery guy knew me pretty well...

The 66 then stayed parked in the garage while I spent the next couple years playing with the 87 Turbo Regals/GNs in the 90's and you know how life gets in the way and now that my boys are a little older, I've promised the 10 year old that I'll get the old mustang running again after about 7 years in storage. New gas tank already ordered back in Nov and still waiting... But am readying myself to get my hands dirty again!

I found some pixs in an album I have. pixs from 1986, 1990's and a pix of the engine when adjusting the rocker arms

Glad to finally join as I've checked out this site over the years.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
7,685 Posts
Welcome to the forum, always nice to hear when folks are able to hang on to their high school and college cars. Obviously it meant a lot to you. Here's to hoping to sharing some quality time resurrecting it with your family. Keep the updates coming.

·
Registered
1966 coupe, 302
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Caper50,

Your build-up is great! I'm going to save and read as time allows. Wish I had your skills.

I see you're Canadian. I have older cousins in Ottawa that are into the older Pontiac Trans Ams and Firebirds. They always remind me everything's more expensive in Canada. My dad was an aircraft mechanic and tried to get us more mechanically "inclined". I see the younger generation's getting away from that. My boys play with their legos and hotwheels cars and say they want to inherit my cars but who knows...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Welcome.
Guessing you went to Cal Ploy and that's the Cuesta Grade the VWs beat you up?

Reactions: 66R08T

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Welcome to VMF. Good to see another 66 in the Bay Area soon.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,633 Posts
Welcome to VMF.

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
1,475 Posts
Welcome...always a great story when someone gets to a point that they can resurrect a Mustang from their youth. Mine sat for over 30 year...talk about life getting in the way!

·
Premium Member
1966 Convertible 6cyl 4sp
102 Posts
Welcome to VMF

Not sure yet if the event below is happening in 2022 but if so I'm planning to attend. You can follow them on IG

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
1966 coupe, 302
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I went to Cal Poly, SLO and graduated in 1990. Time flies. Any of you guys in SF? I seldom see an old Mustang on the streets anymore. A neighbor down the block has a '65 coupe that he occasionally drives. I don't know of any fellow enthusiasts in the area.

·
Premium Member
1966 Convertible 6cyl 4sp
102 Posts
Yeah, I went to Cal Poly, SLO and graduated in 1990. Time flies. Any of you guys in SF? I seldom see an old Mustang on the streets anymore. A neighbor down the block has a '65 coupe that he occasionally drives. I don't know of any fellow enthusiasts in the area.
I'm in SF (Mission Bay)
And was in SLO 88-90 - I drove this '64 back and forth to Cuesta from Pine Creek (didn't look this nice until after college).
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,769 Posts
There are actually quite a few Mustangs in the Bay Area. VMOA is based in the South Bay, BAMA is based in the East Bay, There are also a couple of clubs in eastern Contra Costa and Solano counties. They usually have annual shows and monthly activities if you are into marque specific clubs. There is also San Jose Mustangs focused mostly on the newer models but there are anumber of vintage cars in the mix and they do have an active calendar. I suggest you make a point of attending the annual shows and the various Cars and Coffee events to connect with other Mustang enthusiasts with similar interests to yours. Here in the South Bay we also have a couple of monthly Cars and Coffee events, most notably "Ronnie's Morning Get Together" (2nd Saturday of every month, rain or shine) in the Target parking lot on Hillsdale Avenue in San Jose. Usually 200-300+ cars of all types show up including a mix of vintage and modern Mustangs.

·
Registered
1966 coupe, 302
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ironically my neighbor down the street also has a 6 cylinder with a stick shift. For that 2nd gear you’re needing, try Jerry at ABC Mustangs in Hayward. He’s great to deal with and I’ve known him since 95 or so when he did my motor swap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts