Vintage Mustang Forums banner

New member from Tennessee sort of.

951 Views 21 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  kenash
Hello all and yes I've been on the site since 2018, but haven't made any posts till now. I am the caretaker of my fathers 1970 Mach 1 he bought new in October of 1969. I say caretaker because even though the car is registered in my name, my father is still with us, and it will be his till he is gone.

A little history on the car. Dad bought it from the local ford dealership when he returned from Viet Nam. He wanted a Boss , but they didn't have one on the lot, and Dad liked the look of the new Mach 1's with the changes from 69 so he bought this one. It is a base Mach 1 with only power steering as an upgrade. 351 Windsor, Fmx automatic, Manual drum brakes, originally had mag style hubcaps on 7 inch ford steel wheels ( lost to time ), and Am radio. The car was our daily driver until about 1975 when it became just the Sunday go to church car. I drove the car in high school in the mid 80's on occasion when my Jeep or Torino were broken. and after I left for college in 90 it sat basically in my dad's basement garage until 2004 when we did a mild restoration. Rebuilt the engine, rebuilt the brakes, new headliner, carpet ,and front seat covers. and new tires, and a repaint.. I got the car in 2015 and have rebuilt the transmission and added Pertronix ignition, replaced the fuel tank and rebuilt the fuel system. The original carburetor is also long gone. It sports a 2 barrel Holley now. It rides on 14 inch Cougar Style steel wheels Dad put on it in 1981 after he had it repainted from the last accident.

Future upgrades I hope to have finished this winter are, Disc brakes, Replace the glue in glass with bolt in, 1 inch Shelby drop with new front suspension. 16 inch Style Steel wheels and new rubber as the Coopers on the car are 17 years old. Possibly upgrade to a 4 barrel carburetor. Maybe Vintage Air.

I have read many posts on here over the years, and thought as I go forward with upgrades to her I would post my adventures here for help and to show a regular 50 year old can keep an old car running and upgrade with patience and time.

Thanks
Dave.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Land vehicle Grille

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Grille

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive battery
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
261 Posts
Hello all and yes I've been on the site since 2018, but haven't made any posts till now. I am the caretaker of my fathers 1970 Mach 1 he bought new in October of 1969. I say caretaker because even though the car is registered in my name, my father is still with us, and it will be his till he is gone.

A little history on the car. Dad bought it from the local ford dealership when he returned from Viet Nam. He wanted a Boss , but they didn't have one on the lot, and Dad liked the look of the new Mach 1's with the changes from 69 so he bought this one. It is a base Mach 1 with only power steering as an upgrade. 351 Windsor, Fmx automatic, Manual drum brakes, originally had mag style hubcaps on 7 inch ford steel wheels ( lost to time ), and Am radio. The car was our daily driver until about 1975 when it became just the Sunday go to church car. I drove the car in high school in the mid 80's on occasion when my Jeep or Torino were broken. and after I left for college in 90 it sat basically in my dad's basement garage until 2004 when we did a mild restoration. Rebuilt the engine, rebuilt the brakes, new headliner, carpet ,and front seat covers. and new tires, and a repaint.. I got the car in 2015 and have rebuilt the transmission and added Pertronix ignition, replaced the fuel tank and rebuilt the fuel system. The original carburetor is also long gone. It sports a 2 barrel Holley now. It rides on 14 inch Cougar Style steel wheels Dad put on it in 1981 after he had it repainted from the last accident.

Future upgrades I hope to have finished this winter are, Disc brakes, Replace the glue in glass with bolt in, 1 inch Shelby drop with new front suspension. 16 inch Style Steel wheels and new rubber as the Coopers on the car are 17 years old. Possibly upgrade to a 4 barrel carburetor. Maybe Vintage Air.

I have read many posts on here over the years, and thought as I go forward with upgrades to her I would post my adventures here for help and to show a regular 50 year old can keep an old car running and upgrade with patience and time.

Thanks
Dave.

View attachment 866768

View attachment 866769

View attachment 866770 Welcome.

View attachment 866771
Welcome. Dad has good taste in cars. 👍

· Registered
1970 Sportroof Mustang Grabber Value Package
1,898 Posts
Welcome, and that is awesome back ground and beautiful car!

· Registered
976 Posts
Welcome Dave, great car and story. You're in the perfect area for spirited curvy mountain drives, the suspension update will do wonders. Be sure to check out John at OpenTracker for some great original style parts with modern updates like roller bearings that will transform your ride.

· Registered
1970 Mach 1 351 Windsor Fmx Automatic Power steering Manual Brakes
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome Dave, great car and story. You're in the perfect area for spirited curvy mountain drives, the suspension update will do wonders. Be sure to check out John at OpenTracker for some great original style parts with modern updates like roller bearings that will transform your ride.
Yes I have the roller bearing spring perches from them along with new upper and lower control arms from them. They are a great company and have good products. Thinking about ordering a set of adjustable strut rods to round out the front end. Otherwise staying pretty stock.

· Registered
976 Posts
Yes I have the roller bearing spring perches from them along with new upper and lower control arms from them. They are a great company and have good products. Thinking about ordering a set of adjustable strut rods to round out the front end. Otherwise staying pretty stock.
The roller spring perches made the biggest ride difference to me as the suspension could react so much quicker to road surface changes, train tracks, etc. I haven't driven mine yet since making my own heim joint strut rods but I'm sure they'll help make alignment more accurate too. I also have his cheater UCA and roller lower I need to install.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good looking Mach1. Should already have bolt in glass being a 70.

It's a early build 70. Has 1969 doors with glue in glass. Also the 351 Windso69r and FMX combo more prevalent in 69. Fors used up interchangeable parts left over from one the early

[/QUItOTE]
Good looking Mach1. Should already have bolt in glass being a 70.

It's an early build 70. Ford used up leftover 69 parts on the early 70's Such as doors, motors, transmissions, Hence the glue in glass, 351 Windsor, and Fmx auto trans.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't ordered the Marti report yet, but it was first registered October 3rd or 4rth of 1969. I was told it was the first 70 Mach 1 solld at Carter County Ford when dad bought it, but I can't confirm that. Except for a quarter panel repair in 1981 all body work from accidents were performed at Carter County Ford here in Elizabethton using Ford factory parts. Minor front end collisions, one requiring the radiator support being replaced. One rear end repair requiring a new quarter extension. Otherwise the body is original.

· Registered
3,121 Posts
Outstanding story and Mach 1. I can still hear the cracking sound made when my brother used a lug wrench to remove the fake lug on the realistic looking wheel cover on his buddy's 70 Mach1 back circa 1974. Funny as hell.

· Registered
3,527 Posts
Welcome to VMF and great looking car and story.

Please thank your father for his service.

John

· Premium Member
10,849 Posts
Many honors to your father and well wishes to all. That's a wonderful car. Welcome to VMF.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts