Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member from Lake George NY and I own a 1966 Mustang Convertible 6cyl 3spd on the floor. This car was restored in 2014 and painted in the original springtime yellow, great daily driver but thinking about doing a resting coyote engine conversion... Any Thoughts??

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,283 Posts
If you've got the cash to do it, go ahead.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
One question, Why?

What does a Coyote Conversion do for you??

There are so many other ways to go..

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Welcome to the VMF from central NY. If you feel the need for more power maybe consider a GT40P swap and avoid major surgery

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
First: decide what you want out of the car.

You have nice combo for daily driver that can be woke up some with some add on's for a little more pep.

If you just want a little more power with some rumble, you can do a base level 302 swap for not much money and effort.
HOWEVER, if you go the V8 route with some serious horsepower, you will looking at a full suspension upgrade. The 6 cylinder 4 lug spindles and rear end will handle a mild V8 upgrade but more than that and you will need a full rebuild.

If you are wanting serious power, something like a 347 (stroked 302) can bring you in the 400+ horsepower club. Fills the needs of most people, maybe not something for long commutes and stuff where MPG might matter.

I would rate the Coyote swap for someone wanting classic looks with modern power and economy, the best of both worlds. More expense and a lot of work and modification. I myself am going that route but it wasn't a casual decision that I took lightly.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,516 Posts
Welcome to VMF.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Welcome to VMF...once upon a time I lived in upstate NY for a few years...near Syracuse though.

The Coyote swap is a great swap...but, you should decide on the goal, not the means to get there. If you just want 400HP, you can get that a lot cheaper and easier out of a moderate 302(or 351w). What is it about the Coyote exactly that is appealing? It is an EXPENSIVE swap that gets into heavy fabrication(lots of time and money) and doing the swap means your car will never again be even close to original(not without fairly major structural replacement anyway) A convertible is also the worst possible body choice for a Coyote swap because the shock towers have to go...and the transmission crossmember at least needs to be modified...both of which tend to weaken the unibody(unless you do more bracing to compensate) and the convertible already flexes enough because of its missing top...all for what exactly? I wouldn't chop up a fresh restoration for a Coyote swap myself...in fact, if I were going to do a modern V8 swap...the only engine that would make me chop my shock towers at this point would be the Voodoo 5.2L....and the cost on those is about $20k a pop

1 - 7 of 7 Posts