Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I'm a new member here living in Salt Lake City. I have a 1966 I-6 Coupe 3 speed with no options that has been in storage for years and it's time to get it back on the road. This winter my wife (as a surprise Christmas gift) took it from storage to a shop in town just to get it running. It runs fine but now I want to begin the restomod process on this guy to make it a weekend driver. The only safety upgrade is a dual bowl master cylinder that I did years ago so I have decided I want to start with disc brakes in the front. I have two goals that are seemingly at odds with one another: I'd like to space out the spending especially on big ticket items but also minimize the time the car is out of commission (I'd prefer several short stints in the garage than one or two long overhauls). That being said I don't know if I'll ever put a V-8 in this car but I want to plan as if I am. For those familiar with a I-6 conversion to a V-8 or simply modernizing an I-6 you know nearly every aspect of the driveline and suspension need to be changed out. (New disc means converting to 5 lug wheels, while doing that you might as well do the spindles... Since your doing the spindles you may as well upgrade the suspension in the front... and on and on) I'll poke around the forums but if someone knows of a thread that addresses swapping out brakes and suspension from I-6 to V-8/ restomod it would be greatly appreciated. Especially one with schedule and budget concerns not addressed by the pro sites.

I look forward to spending too much time here.

CW

Registered
68 Hardtop
Welcome. Here鈥檚 a good source on what is needed to go I6 to V8:

I鈥檇 definitely start on the suspension/ spindles first.

Registered
Welcome, sounds like you鈥檝e done a little research, and you are starting on the right end of the car, as well as starting on the right forum board! It鈥檚 easy to spend too much time here. Any pictures of this Jewel?

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome. Here鈥檚 a good source on what is needed to go I6 to V8:

I鈥檇 definitely start on the suspension/ spindles first.
That's a great resource! Sometimes it gets a little overwhelming just trying to understand what can stay and what has to go in the conversion! I appreciate the help!

Registered
Welcome to VMF.
As a first 2do I also only wanted to switch to a dual master cylinder.. figured out front discs would be nice... ended up to upgrade the entire front suspension and rebuild the power steering ;)

Hi, how ya doin
Welcome to VMF.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts