Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, thanks for having me. A buddy of me recently gave me a 64-1/2 mustang that's in need of a restoration because he didn't have the time; so I'm new to all that is Mustang and come from a motorcycle background.

Anyway, so my question/problem is as follows: For the 64-1/2, I thought it would be neat to learn the original color/interior combination and upon working with a FoMoCo decoder, I found my car to be a Indy Pace Car Replica, built April 14, 1964, with a "Pace Car White" exterior, 260 motor; unfortunately, the car is blue now.

After some more internet search I learned this could be quite a little gem, but I grew nervous that perhaps only the drivers door is from an actual pace car, as the only identification I can find is attached to the door.

So my question is, what other visual clues can I use to determine the legitimacy of this vehicle? Keep in mind, it's blue now, and has a white vinyl top and has probably been through a zillion owners and a commensurate number of restorations.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input and whether or not this is the real deal, you'll probably see me around as I begin some form of restoration.

Thanks again,
Carl

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Carl,
The VIN plate on the door should match the vin number located in the notched section of the drivers side fender under the hood. It will have a * at both the beginning and end. If you look at the picture below on the right hand side you can see the notched section. Stamped into the metal should be the VIN. This is also located on the other side but you would need to remove the fender to see it. If you want to get really crazy you can decode the dates that are punched on the misc. body sections, like under the trunk lid. The man to talk to is Steve Grant. He has the only show car 64.5 Pace Car in the country. It is absolutly gorgeous. Even if the car isn't a Pace Car it will still be fun to restore. ::

·
4,129 Posts
Hello and welcome to the VMF. :: First off you might want to fill out your profile a little more. Under the hood on the left side of the inside fender is the VIN #. There will be a notch in the fender where the VIN # is. Now if it is unreadable do not worry, it is stamped again under the fender. But you will have to remove some bolts and move the fender out to see it. If this number matches the door you have a great find. We have a Pace Car owner as a regular member of the VMF and he is quite the expert on them. His handle is sdgrant fd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I updated my profile, some. Let's see, 35, married, I live in Downey, CA ... been riding motorcycles for a good number of years, then got involved in a major home remodel that put my life on hold; remodel is wrapping up and I'm starting to live again.

My current vehicles are a 1998 F150 4x4, 2000 Porsche Boxster, 1999 Honda VTR1000 (track ready) and just recently, my 64-1/2 Mustang; my wife owns a 1996 Acura TL. I was looking into purchasing a Land Rover until this Mustang fell in my lap.

The 'Stang was given to me by a friend ... he wrecked it 3 years ago had to get rid of it because he's moving and had no place to put it ... he's kicking himself if this turns out to be a car of significance.

Night all, I'll check that vin # in the fender tomorrow.

Carl

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Welcome to the VMF! I have a great body guy that lives in Norwalk and does the body work at your house. He worked on the 67 Fastback I am restoring. Let me know if you are in need of him. His rates are very reasonable.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Firstly...welcome to the group! You'll have fun being part of the madness!

Secondly...a friend gave you a '64 1/2 Pace Car? What, did you save their life or something? That's an amazing friend! What you have is an EXTREMELY rare and desirable model of Mustang. Please note that this car will require a full restoration back to totally original specs. In other words, you should not be planning a modification to this car. As suggested earlier in this post, contact Steve Grant right away (he's in the LA area).

You might even want to consider selling the car in its current shape and using that money to restore another Mustang. Either way, keep us posted on your progress! ::

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey all ... I looked on the fender this morning and it's looking more and more like it's the real deal, a 64-1/2 Pace Car. I can positively read the first five digits of the vin on the fender and the number matches the door. The only portion I can't read (on the fender) is the manufacturing sequence number.

Also, someone inquired about my friend that gave me the car ... he had it for ten years and never looked up the vin. Like I said, he's kicking himself right now ... he's a really good friend (that loves Classic Mustangs) so I phoned him last night and told him what the car might be and offered to return the car ... he told me to keep it because he doesn't have the time or money.

Finally, about the restoration, if the car does turn out to be the real deal (and it's looking good), I feel obligated to have it restored to show-room condition.

Thanks for the input and PM's!!

Carl

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
"... he's a really good friend (that loves Classic Mustangs) so I phoned him last night and told him what the car might be and offered to return the car..."

It's good to see honest people and true friendship.......Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey all, if anyone is keeping track (man there's a lot of posts here!!), after meeting with Steve and talking to him on the phone, I was able to positively identify my new-found vehicle as a 64-1/2 coupe Pace Car.

Now the decision making process begins.

Thanks everyone,
Carl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts