Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been lurking around here for a while gathering info and working on my car. I figured i might as well take some pics of my restomod and show you guys what im working on. So here is a few pics

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So far i have rebuilt the front suspension with factory control arms 620's, Shelby drop, 1" sway bar.
I rebuilt the 289, 30 over, aluminum gt40x heads, ford racing 1.6 roller rockers and a comp cam(i forget the spec) flat top hypereutectic pistons, arp fasteners, edelbrock performer intake and 600 carb. I am doing the ignition this way http://www.carbdford.com/tech/HEI/hei.htm. Ford racing under drive pulleys. 100 amp one wire alternator.
The rear quarter panel needed to be replaced to i decided to flare them while i am at it. I am doing exactly what total control did to their race car-

Total Control Products

The wheels i got are boss 338. 18x8 front 18x9.5 rear. The tires on the rear are 275/40/18 and i will be flaring the fenders enough to cover the tires
The axle is explorer unit w/ 3.73's and a posi, i also got the aluminum drive shaft from the explorer and i am planning on making it fit. I rebuilt the axle and the brakes so everything is practically new.

I did a front disc brake conversion from Scarebird Classic Brakes LLC.

The C4 is at the tranny shop being rebuilt and a small stall converter is being put in. They arent doing a shift kit but the guy rebuilding it (my neighbor) said he can do a few tricks to it to make it shift just slightly quicker. The car is for my wife so i dont want to make it harsh to drive

Feel free to ask any questions and thanks for all the advice that you guys dont even know that have given me.

·
Registered
805 Posts
8.8 question

Did you have to do anything to the Exploder axle to get it to fit, besides leaf spring mounts? Do you have any pics of the driveshaft alignment in the tunnel? I've been thinking of going this route (have a spare 8.8 3.73L Exploder rear lying around) but I'm concerned about the housing offset and u-joint wear.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Welcome dblaron, keep lurking, there are lots of very knowlegdable people on the forum. I am not new to the Mustang but have learned quite a bit just by keeping up on what folks are posting. Looks like you have a good knowledge base!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the warm welcome

Tweet
I learned from this site that the explorer axle was going to be 2 inches wider than my factory 8". I took that into consideration when choosing my wheel backspacing, I still have 1.5" from my tire to the leaf spring. The pumpkin is off center and I am toying with the idea of shortening it 2" and running another factory short axle. That will drop the clearance to .5" on my leafs and center the pumpkin. I will snap some pic when I get home of the axle to give you a good idea of how it sits now.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Thanks dblaron. Love the 18's by the way. That wheel "fits" the car really well which is something I wouldn't expect for a rims that large.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok i tried to snap some pics. The first one is the rear end at ride height, the front is still up on jack stands. The others hopefully show how much the pinion is off center.The pinion angle is also way up in the pictures, i havent set yet because im waiting for the transmission. After i get the transmission i can bolt up the drive shaft and zero in the pinion angle.

I threw in a pic of spring perches and bottom plate. I reused the explorer bottom plates/shock mounts and i plan on welding on a piece to mount the mustang shocks through

Attachments

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I have the same 8.8 rear to go in my 68 also and was under te impression that it was only 1/2 or 3/4 in wider than the 8in rear. I hope it is 2 in wider though that would be good for my rear wheel offsets. Then I an get my rear wheels widened and run wider tires too :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
For your wife? Sounds like you found a keeper. Cheers and welcome.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Dblaron, thanks for the pics and info. I'll probably end up shortening the housing before I swap it. I need to finish my v8 swap in my bronco 2, the wifes 66 coupe, and the floors in my 66 first.....

·
Registered
827 Posts
cornholio, it has been a very long time since I have seen a ride as nice as yours!!! Not to get the thread off topic but can you post a couple more pics? That thing looks soooo good! Any specs on the motor?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a thread on here with quite a few more picks from a few months ago.

The motor is/was a 289, bored 40, with the 331 stroker kit. According to my very particular builder it is 338 cubic inches now. Big, custome ground Crane Cam, Trick Flow high port heads, a worked 750 dbl that now flows 800. 11 to 1 CP Pistons and the other usuals. Thanks for the compliment!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the same 8.8 rear to go in my 68 also and was under te impression that it was only 1/2 or 3/4 in wider than the 8in rear. I hope it is 2 in wider though that would be good for my rear wheel offsets. Then I an get my rear wheels widened and run wider tires too :)
The 8" in the 65-66 is narrower than the 67-68 by 2". My research has found that the explorer axle is the same width as the 67 axle making it 2" wider than the 65. Further research has found that the axle would have to be shortened 3" in order to run 2 short axle shafts. That being said i think i am going to run the axle as is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For your wife? Sounds like you found a keeper. Cheers and welcome.
Yea she's alright, she came with the mustang actually (bought it when she was 17) from the original owner. It should be fun to cruise around in when its all done. Thanks again for the welcome

·
Registered
316 Posts
great project! and interesting ignition and disc brake links.....:pirate:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks. Im that kinda thinker. I like the modern technology with older styling. I am also planning on doing a power brake conversion this way.
BRAKES
Some purist may not like the way i am building the mustang but i like it. That's why its a restomod right. I just have to keep a file of all the different parts i am using for future replacement.

I am currently fitting some seats out of a later model vehicle, much more comfortable with side support ect. here's a pic just for fun, they still need more fitting, i just kind of plopped them in. The interior is going to be fully recovered in the fabric/color of the wife's choosing.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I cut the skin off of the donor quarter panel i had (ours was trash) and couldnt help but test fit it. I tacked on a few strips and spaced the top out 2" and tacked it, then moved to the back and started tapering it back in. It is all temporary for now because i still need to finish the inner fender but i really wanted to see what it was going to look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took some time to work on the rear quarter. I made a template of the gap and transferred it to some 20 guage sheet metal and started tacking it in. I also ordered up some 3/4 rod ends for the front end. I am planning on doing adjustable strut rods and lower control arms. I also received a diy roller spring perch kit from daze cars (I have alot of work to do!)
I'll try to post pics as i work on these projects.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts