Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!
I am a new member from sweden. I just finished the restoration of my 68. The car had quite a bit of rust in various places, the left front framerail was almost completely gone. Holes in the floor etc etc.
I had planned to pull the engine to clean it and paint it and the engine bay, but when i removed the valve covers there was a thick layer of carbonized oil. So there was nothing to do but to tear it apart. Send the block and heads to the machine shop to do a 0,030 bore and a valve job and so on. I spent about three years restoring it, and i'm very proud to have done it myself, except for the paint and machine shop work. I have never had an engine apart before but it has been a dream of mine to some day tear an engine apart and put it back together.
Anyway, i just finished the car and the start up went great, and i have put a couple of miles on it as the spring has come here in sweden. Here are a couple of pictures of my car, it was imported from colorado to sweden in 2015 i think. It's a great feeling to fire it up, knowing that i built it myself.
20200124_143353.jpg
20200124_141351.jpg

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Beautiful car and great story! Congratulations on doing it all yourself, that’s a great accomplishment. Enjoy the fruits of your labor!!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hello guys!
I am a new member from sweden. I just finished the restoration of my 68. The car had quite a bit of rust in various places, the left front framerail was almost completely gone. Holes in the floor etc etc.
I had planned to pull the engine to clean it and paint it and the engine bay, but when i removed the valve covers there was a thick layer of carbonized oil. So there was nothing to do but to tear it apart. Send the block and heads to the machine shop to do a 0,030 bore and a valve job and so on. I spent about three years restoring it, and i'm very proud to have done it myself, except for the paint and machine shop work. I have never had an engine apart before but it has been a dream of mine to some day tear an engine apart and put it back together.
Anyway, i just finished the car and the start up went great, and i have put a couple of miles on it as the spring has come here in sweden. Here are a couple of pictures of my car, it was imported from colorado to sweden in 2015 i think. It's a great feeling to fire it up, knowing that i built it myself.
View attachment 747642
View attachment 747641

Welcome to the forum. Great story and a nice looking Mustang. (Love the color)
yarb

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Nice job on the car! How was it trying to find parts in Sweden?... Getting tough finding them here in the USA.
And, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 4 spd, 65 convertible 5.0L 5 spd. 3.73 8.8
264 Posts
Hello guys!
View attachment 747642
View attachment 747641
Nice looking car, good job on the work.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Welcome - You've joined the best forum out there. I've been slowly (very slowly) working on my 66 and everyone on here has just been so helpful!

Beautiful car - well done - Better order some more tyres ;-)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Swedish68, beautiful car and amazing job you did on the car. You must be a very smart guy to do all of that work without our help. Enjoy. Dave R.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,488 Posts
Swedish68, welcome to VMF. Nice looking 68 & congrats on doing all the work yourself.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Interesting story, @Swedish68 . My second 66 mustang (a GT A-code) ended up getting exported to Sweden. I'm happy to see y'all keeping them running!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to say that there seems to be a much friendlier atmosphere on this forum compared to the swedish mustang forum. On the swedish forum there is a clear hierarchy and a lot of sarcasm, which gets tiersome after a while.
Thank you all for your kind words about my car.
The paint is tahoe turqoise, and that wad the reason why i fell for the car.
I heard somewhere that sweden has the most vintage american cars per capita, we just love american cars over here!
So therefore there are several dealers that have specialized in mustang aftermarket parts, so there is no problem getting parts, but since they all import the parts from the u.s, the prices are high, often more than double what you guys pay for them, so let's say that i drive around in my retirement fund, but the was the stock market looks today it seems like a good thing;)

·
Premium Member
7,441 Posts
Welcome new member! Yes, there is a great feeling in learning the skills, then applying them.
BTW, nice mustang.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Great job, Swedish. I'm doing my 66 restoration too. It's listed in the Build forum here under "66 bucket coupe". The PO didn't like the original so he primed it grey. I'll be going back to original as soon as our weather breaks and I can get it to the paint shop.

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
Ahhh, Tahoe Turquoise ! It's a favorite ! Welcome to VMF !

·
Registered
441 Posts
By the way, I see you have the same Edelbrock air cleaner that I had on my 65. I have heard that if the car backfires that the material in that air cleaner can catch on fire. Might be a good idea to replace it with a standard circular one. The PO of my car said there wasn’t enough clearance to fit a standard air cleaner on... but I checked with foil and had plenty of clearance to upgrade to a standard air cleaner. Might be better safe than sorry

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, i got this from a guy i bought the valve covers from, didn’t like it at first but it grew on me. Maybe i should replace it just to be safe. But the paper style filters, could’nt they catch on fire?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts