Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I just joined this forum after owning my mustang for a year and finding that most of my google searches brought me here and finding great information, figured I should sign up.

I own 1966 coupe, C code, 289, c4 that I picked up last year, I have always like the first gen coupe for some reason. Its seems to be a decent platform to start with, pretty straight with very little rust, candy apple red so my daughter named her Rosie. Most of its problems are poor m maintenance and "repairs" from previous owners. Lots of WTF moments in the last year fixing butchery from previous repairs.

My plans are to make some safety/performance upgrades as budget allows and keep it looking mostly stock, something my family will enjoy cruising around in.

In the last year I have already installed a 302, 4 barrel carb and intake, upgraded ignition, fusebox, seats, rebuilt gauges, removed power steering, replaced radiator and all new hoses, rebuilt driveshaft. And a bunch of other small things that were bugging me.

Up next is upgrading brakes, seat belts, suspension and lighting so I can actually drive her and feel somewhat safe on the road.

I want to thank this community for all the great info so far! Hope to see you on the road!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Welcome to the VMF.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Nice car and welcome.

I would also recommend to work on the brakes asap. Minimum upgrade would be a dual master cylinder a better upgrade (IMHO) a front disc conversion. People here drive drum/drum since decades without issues. Drums need more maintenance compared to discs to work well. No need to go discs in the rear with an early Mustang.

About the suspension, a Shelby or Arning drop is a very good and super cheap improvement (buy a 17/32 drill). High quality shocks like Bilstein are also worth the money. Roller perches are also a good invest together with a bigger sway bar. To make the front more stiff get an export brace for less than $50. Installation might be a pain dependent how much the car sagged in the last 50+ years.

Enjoy your car.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts