Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was vacationing in my old home stomping grounds of Seattle and Portland last week and it was refreshing to see so many nice classic Mustangs and other cars out and about.

SWMBO and I were driving down Canyon Road in Pdx and noticed a couple of the new Minis in a dealer's lot. Having time to kill, we pulled over and checked them out. The salesman comes out and is pretty friendly, considering it was obvious we were just looking. They were asking $8K over MSRP and they weren't even S models....

As he's talking I notice its not a dealership but a high end used car lot... Porsches, Lexus, a new TBird, and sitting right up front in the garage is a Candy Apple Red 1970 Mustang convertible in excellent shape. "Oh that," he says, "its about the cheapest thing here, $11K but we can deal on it." I walk over to check it out and indeed it is great shape, no visible rust, 5 ft paint job, clean interior, 302 2v.

"You like Mustangs, eh?" he asks.
"Sort of, I've got one just like this but a year older and with a 351," I replied /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.
"Well, you might want to check out what we have inside."
"What's that?" as I begin to follow him in.
"A 1970 Shelby."
http://www.nwicars.com/images/cars/02c023left1.jpg

Wow/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif!! this was about the cleanest, nicest late Shelby I've seen up close, and there were some nice ones at Carlisle this summer. He let me check it out thoroughly, sit in it, etc. I guessed the asking price within $1000. He insisted the car is painted Grabber Orange/forums/images/icons/blush.gif! and reported it has aftermarket AC and has been converted to auto trans.

After awhile, SWMBO started rolling her eyes and I didn't want to start drooling on the steering wheel, so we said our byes and left....

Later on when she mentioned the Minis, I exclaimed:
"Minis? what Minis?"
I was dreaming about my new Shelby...
I snapped out of it long enough to go buy a PowerBall ticket!

I don't have any connection with this dealer but wanted to share a little of my fun experience! More on the car here. Enjoy!

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
I have a friend here who's buying a Mini.... there's a 10 month waiting list for the new models.

Steve

·
Registered
771 Posts
nice looking car. sounds liek what tyey are doing to the minis is the exact same thing they are doing to the 03 cobra and thunderbirds, good thing u didnt get pulled in a sale with the saleman but swmbo prob held you back! Its neat how we find things on vacations!:)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It taught me a lesson: no matter how nice a new little import looks, my road always leads back to classic Mustangs!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly, if I had to choose, I'd probably rather be in a new Mini during a crash than in my Mustang. They come standard with ABS, six total front and side airbags, Advanced Head Protection System used in Black Hawk helicopters, side impact door beams, crumple zones, collapsable steering wheel, crash sensors that turn off electrical and fuel pump when activated, Dynamic Stability Control, etc. etc. My Mustang, while heavy, has none of this but does come with simple lap belts, a "padded" dashboard, and the famous Spear-O-Matic steering wheel....

And besides, even with the limited initial production run, there are far more new Minis around to replace a crashed one then there are 1969 Mustang convertibles w/ my options/forums/images/icons/wink.gif!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
There's quite a number of those new mini's here. I can imagine being blinded nightly by other cars that sit much higher.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts